Private Message Page

Hi, I wonder if you can tell me why when I go onto the PM page, the whole page jumps about? It doesn't happen on the main site but on the PM page it is all the time. I know others have had the same problem. I use a 7th Generation iPad, so I have the up to date browser etc. Sometimes my message disappears altogether, so I have got into the habit of Selecting All and copying it, especially if it is a long message.

Thank you for reading this and I hope you can help!

Regards Annette (Anndanv) 

• Hi

Thank you so much for posting a question today in our ‘Technical Support group, my name is Rachel and I work as part of the Community team here at Macmillan.

I’m sorry to hear that you are experiencing an error when viewing your private messages Annette, that sounds frustrating and I’m glad you have reached out today.

You mentioned the page jumping about and I wonder whether the list of all your private messages keeps changing order? For example, one moment your most recent private message is at the top of the list and then the next moment it is showing a message from a few days ago at the top of the list?

How the list should work, (if you have your settings set to ‘All messages’ and not to ‘Unread messages’) is that the most recent messages should appear at the top and it should then descend in date order.  

What we have noticed recently however, is that for some members who have a large number of private messages, the order of the list can keep changing.

Is this what is causing the jumping around Annette? If so, this is an error that we have logged with our tech team and they are currently working to find a solution for this.

If the page is jumping about in another way, I wonder whether you would be able to describe it for me so that I can take another look into the situation for you?

I was also sorry to hear that your message sometimes disappears all together – that sounds frustrating and I’m sorry to hear that you are losing messages you have typed Annette.

Does this happen when you are typing in the text box before sending the message? For example, you are writing a long message in the text box on the Private messaging page and then your message disappears?

We will be sure to take a look into this as well Annette and do all we can to fix it.

I’m sorry that you are experiencing errors when using the private message function of the Community Annette, and I want to reassure you we will do all we can to look into this and try to solve the issue.

Please do let us know if you experience any further issues when using the Community, or if you need any further support at all. You can either respond below, or email the team directly on community@macmillan.org.uk.

Kindest regards,  

Rachel
    Macmillan’s Community team

• I have exactly the same issue, I use both an iPhone and a iPad. The issue appears on both.

If i am writing in the text box and I scroll up the screen to re read the message that was sent to me, the text box I am using disappears off screen completely.

Sometimes i can get it back by scrolling up and down the screen or by going back a page. Sometimes not and message is lost.

It is very frustrating if I am a long way into a message.

Other slight issue is at every paragraph break the first letter of the new sentence fails to caplitiliae itself and I have to go back line by line to make it look grammatically correct.

Sorry to sound anal about this as other than that I find the platform very good and easy to use.

Take care guys,

Rameses. 

• Hi Rachel, I have tried pressing unread messages as well as all messages and it doesn't seem to make a difference!

Yes messages disappear regularly. I have got into the habit of after every paragraph I select all and copy what I have already written. Then if it does disappear, at least I only loose the last paragraph. Otherwise, I probably wouldn't take the time to write it all again, that is if I actually remembered all I had written.

The other problem is if I try to insert a photograph. When I press insert, the drop down menu says image/video/file and when I press that, instead of letting me browse to find the photo, a box comes up that says File/UR and asks for dimensions etc. this also occasionally happens on the Main Site but not as often.

I hope things can be sorted. Thanks

Love Annette x

Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, Today is a Gift!!!
  • Hi ,

Thank you for reaching out to share your experience, I'm Eliza and I work with Rachel on the Community team. 

I've looked into this and I can recreate the issue you and Ann are describing on mobile, where the page seems to jump about. We can raise this as an issue with our tech team and see what we can do to fix this as soon as we can. Thank you for explaining further what you have been seeing. I'm sorry that you've been seeing this issue as I can appreciate that it may make it difficult to use your private messages on the site.

Thank you as well for sharing your feedback about how text is formatted on the Online Community. We can take this feedback on board. If there's any other feedback you'd like to share, please feel welcome to get back in touch with us. 

Please don't apologise as we always appreciate hearing what members are finding helpful and what they would like to improve. If you have any further questions, you can get back in touch with us here or over email to community@macmillan.org.uk.

Best wishes,

Eliza
    Macmillan Community Team
  • Hi Annette, 

Thank you for getting back in touch, I'm Eliza and I work with Rachel on the Community team.

We appreciate you taking the time to share a bit more information around what you're experiencing. As I've mentioned in my other post in this thread, I've done some initial investigation and I can recreate the technical issue you're describing where your private message text box disappears. We'll do what we can to work towards a fix as soon as possible. I have found that when seeing this issue, the text is still there in the message box when you scroll back down.

In regards to what you're describing around inserting photographs, you just need to click the "Upload" button underneath File/URL to browse for the photo you would like to share. This box usually only appears on computers, so we can investigate why you are seeing different options on your iPad. However if this does happen again, please just use the "Upload" button as I've highlighted in this picture:

We'd like to do everything we can to help so if there's anything further we can do or if you have any questions while we're working to fix any technical issues, please feel welcome to let us know here or over email to community@macmillan.org.uk.

Best wishes,

Eliza
    Macmillan Community Team
  • Eliza 

Thank you so much for looking into these issues.

As I said, other than these minor glitches I find the site a great platform in the technical context and from a "User" point of view, this has been a great comfort to me over the past few weeks to the point I do not know what I would have done without it.

I have made some great friends on here already who are very supportive to me.

I tend to write to them at 3am or similar odd hours and these odd glitches are so frustrating, And seem 10 times worse that time at night when I can't sleep. I do hope you can sort them.

Thanks again.

Take care guys,

Rameses. 

• Hi ,

Thank you for getting back in touch. I'm glad to hear that you have found comfort from the Online Community.

I'm sorry that it sounds like experiencing this technical issue has been frustrating. We'll work with our tech team to resolve it as soon as we can.

If you have any further questions or if there's anything else we can help with while we work to fix this issue, please feel welcome to get in touch here or over email to community@macmillan.org.uk.

Best wishes,

Eliza
    Macmillan Community Team