Pip benefit

Hi everyone ? After a long wait I was finally awarded pip for my cancer condition. Claim made 7th April - decision letter states cannot pay from when claim was made but can pay from then they think my cancer started to effect my living and mobility which in there eyes is the 30 may when my chemo started . So I not be receiving any back pay from the date I made the claim and after waiting three  months now I have to wait till august / September to receive a payment. Does this sound right everyone I speak with states it should be paid from the date the claim was made . Help !!!!

ash

• Hello 

Thank you for posting your question, my name is Steph and I am part of the Community team here at Macmillan.

I am sorry to hear about what you're going through and appreciate this must be a worrying time for you.

The Welfare Rights team will be the best people at Macmillan to help you with this. The team are contactable through the Macmillan Support Line, available 7 days a week, 8am-8pm on freephone 0808 808 00 00email or live webchat.

It sounds like you might have already been in touch with them, but if not, please do reach out for expert support.

The Technical Help group here on the Community is for asking questions about using the Online Community, so please do not hesitate to ask if you need further help with this, or have any other questions about finding the right support.

Kindest Regards

Steph
    Online Community Officer
  • Hi. 
    I was told you have to have the issues for three months and the PIP starts thereafter. 
    Clare 

• Hi

Thank you for commenting in our 'Technical Support' group this evening and for sharing your experience of PIP. 

Here on the team we see every day the benefits of peer support, and how sharing experiences can be both helpful and supportive. 

As my colleague Steph mentioned above, here at Macmillan we have a dedicated Welfare Rights Team that is here to provide information and support about the benefits system and accessing the best support for you. 

If you have any questions about PIP, this is the best team to contact. That number again is 0808 808 00 00, or you can connect with this team by email or live webchat as well. 

I hope you are finding the Community to be a safe and supportive space to connect with others who may be going through a similar situation. 

If you have any questions about navigating the site however, or if there is anything myself or the team can do to further support you, please do get back in touch by emailing the team directly on community@macmillan.org.uk

Take care, 

Rachel
    Macmillan's Community team 

• Hi thanks for replying sooo if that’s the case this reared it’s ugly head late 2021 day November I got a sick note for the misdiagnosis of hemmeriods , which turned out to be cancer so had the issues clearly the relevant amount of time required. 

• Hi

Thanks for your reply.

I wondered if you'd managed to contact the  Welfare Rights Team as yet, as they are the best people to discuss this with?

We also have some information about PIP on the Macmillan website here, which might be helpful for you to have a read through. It explains a little about eligibility and how you're assessed.

The Community team can help you with using the Community and if you have other questions, help you find the best support from Macmillan. 

You might also want to continue discussing this with members of the Community in your thread here. I hope it helps to be able to talk to people in similar circumstances.

Please do get back in touch if we can be of any further help.

Kindest Regards

Steph
    Online Community Officer