Groups

How do I set up a new group?

• Hi Veteranrunner,

It’s Megan here from Macmillan’s Online Community team, thank you for posting your question in our help group, I hope I can help you with this today. As you’ve asked how you set up a new group, I wanted to let you know that members aren’t able to set up a new Community group, however they are welcome to start discussion threads with the current groups about certain topics where the conversations can be ongoing.

For example, there is the ‘Awake’ thread in the Breast cancer forum where members find support during the night when they’re not sleeping. This particular discussion started many years ago and have continued to support each other on the thread during the night.

There is also the ‘Walking back to happiness’ thread where members share images and details of their walks and adventures with one another.

Should you want to do this, the ‘chat’ section of each group is a good place to create the discussion and there is some step by step guidance in our help pages should you need some help getting started. 

If I may I’d like to ask what group you were thinking of setting up as the Community Team is always welcoming new suggestions and ideas for the site. If you would like to share more details of your suggestions and ideas, we would love to hear them.

I hope the above information makes sense and please don’t hesitate to get back in touch should you need any support using the site. Alongside responding here you’re welcome to email community@macmillan.org.uk.

Best wishes,

Megan
    Macmillan’s Online Community Team

• Frequent components of the journey through Bowel cancer are both the insertion and reversal of a stoma. While I had a stoma, I found the dedicated support group a great help, both in learning from others and sharing my own experiences. Reversal has been challenging, but it doesn’t seem right to be sharing those challenges and issues with people living with the trauma of a stoma. 

I would like to suggest, therefore, a new group to support those working on making their reversal a success. 

Every blessing
    Wellspring
  • Hi 

Thank you so much for getting back in touch and for sharing your idea. 

We're currently looking at how we can improve groups to make sure there's a supportive place for everyone affected by cancer, whatever you're currently going through. 

It sounds like a great idea to have a separate place for stoma reversal chat, so I've added that to our plans. Hopefully we'll be able to do that for you soon, so you have a dedicated area in which to talk. 

In the meantime, you'd be welcome to start a new thread in Ileostomy, colostomy & stoma support forum. If you clearly title the post as 'Stoma Reversal' then other members will have the option of not reading it, if it doesn't feel right for them at that time.

I hope this is helpful and do get back in touch should you have further questions, or need support with anything else.

Best wishes, 

Steph
    Online Community Officer
  • Hi Steph

You may have noticed a number of folk on the bowel cancer site who are really struggling post reversal. For those still being treated for cancer or with permanent stomas, this might feel a little trite.  so I still think our own site would be good and a single thread will get lost over time. 

Although there’s a LARS Facebook page, I don’t suppose it’s moderated the same way as Macmillan. How are you getting on with the process of adding a Reversal/LARS site?

Every blessing
    Wellspring
  • Hello 

Thank you for getting back in touch regarding the reversal/LARS forum. We really appreciate you taking the time to suggest this and follow it up.

Group changes were put on hold whilst we managed the latest site enhancements, so I'm sorry we haven't been able to action that as yet.

I'll discuss this with the team next week and we'll get back to you as soon as we can confirm agreed action.

Best wishes

Steph - Online Community Officer

• Hi

Thanks again for chasing up a new space for conversations around stoma reversal and LARS. 

I wanted to let you know that we've been able to add an additional forum called  'stoma reversal and LARS' to the ileostomy, colostomy and stoma group today. We felt this was the best way to allow members of the group to have conversations around reversal and LARS in a dedicated space.

I hope this will make it easier for members struggling post reversal to support one another and find exisiting discussions around this. 

Please do let us know if you have any questions or feedback.

Best wishes,

Steph
    Online Community Officer