post operative wound care

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 3 replies
  • 22 subscribers

Hi everyone. I recently had surgery to remove a small BCC at corner of eye/nose.

Afterwards, the nurse gave me the following instructions...(i think I heard her right?)...leave plaster on for 24 hours, then wash wound under shower, pat dry and apply antibiotic ointment  four times per day. I did this for first three days, but now I am reading online that wounds healing by secondary intention should be covered up so  a scar doesnt form? Now, I am confused and covering up with a small plaster.

I think I will have to phone the hospital tomorrow to check with them...but does anyone have any advice on this..and also how long to use the antibiotic ointment for?  tHANKS!

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

sorry..just to clarify..Im sure the nurse said just to apply antibiotic ointment then leave the wound open to the air.

• Hi,

I have had several BCCs removed from my face and from other areas too. On my face I never had any plasters at all. I was told that facial wounds heal very quickly and heal best when left exposed to the air. I had to clean the facial wounds with soap and run warm water over the wounds in the shower, then to rub them gently with a gauze compress. Then cover the wound with a very thin layer of vaseline.

On other parts of my body where the wounds were likely to be irritated by my clothes, they were covered.

I hope this helps and that your BCC site is healing up well.

Miranda

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Miranda2

Dear Miranda. Thanks so much for your reply.  So the nurse was right!(should have been more trusting)...I am now leaving the plaster off and just using the antibiotic ointment 4 times per day.     I’m not sure whether I should keep using this ointment until it heals? Or perhaps I should switch to Vaseline, from day 5 tomorrow.? Touch wood,,the wound is healing ok.

im sorry to hear you’ve had quite a few bccs..that must have been stressful for you 

Hope you are ok now, and thanks again for the advice.