Rodent ulcer - panicking

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 17 replies
  • 30 subscribers

Hello everyone. I am currently awaiting for my initial appointment with the dermatologist but the GP is pretty sure I have SCC/BCC.  I am panicking that my skin cancer lump/ulcer might be large and so removal might be quite invasive and disfiguring.  It's approx 1cm and quite raised and nodular and situated on the side of my nostril.  I know health is more important than appearance but I am spiralling a little bit with negative thoughts

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to latchbrook

Your guess is as good as mine.  It sounded.to me like the surgeon yesterday was disagreeing with what treatment I should be having. He even mentioned radiotherapy...

• Hi

Have you managed to have your second consultation with a plastic surgeon yet and do you now have a date for your surgery?

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• FormerMember

Hi Latchbrook, thanks for thinking of me.  I had a private consultation on Tuesday where the surgeon explained why they would never have recommended an excision for my lesion due to size and location, MOHs would be more appropriate.  We are currently trying to get referred through the NHS route to the new surgeon.  If not, I will go private for treatment as some of my family have very kindly offered to pay.

• That's great that you've had a second opinion  and that you're happy with the recommendation.

I paid for my initial consultation but was then transferred to the consultant's NHS list to have the operation on the NHS. I hope you're able to do this as well.

Keep us informed

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Hi

Have you managed to get a referral to the NHS to have your Mohs surgery yet?

x

Community Champion Badge

• FormerMember

Hi there.  I've managed to get the NHS referral, with an initial date in Oct but have been told that now I am in the system they can rearrange appts.  First private appt would be on 26th, so may just have to go with that if the NHS appt comes through with a date too late for my liking. x

• Good to hear you've got a date ! If taking an appointment at a moment's notice is something you can do, you could always ring the appointments team and tell them that. You might then find you get a quick appointment as there are nearly always cancellations.

Don't forget that "BCCs rarely spread to other parts of the body. Therefore, although it is a type of skin cancer it is almost never a danger to life" - taken from this leaflet from the British Association of Dermatologists. So, waiting a few weeks for the operation on the NHS is unlikely to be detrimental to your outcome. My dad has had quite a few removed over the last few years by the NHS and none of them had spread.

You could spend the money you would have paid to have it done privately on something nice after the operation Slight smile

Edit - I should just add that I've no idea how much it costs to have a BCC removed by Mohs surgery, ie hundreds or thousands of pounds, so don't know how much you feel it's worth it. I know that when I paid for a private consultation to look at my lesion the consultation was about £150, which I felt was worth it, as I was facing an 8 week wait to see a dermatologist on the NHS as my GP didn't think it was anything to worry about. Unfortunately it was, as it was a melanoma, but the excision happened on the NHS.

x

Community Champion Badge