treatment for biochemical recurrence

• 5 replies
  • 103 subscribers

I had a radical prostatectomy July 2015. Biochemical recurrence picked up 1/9/16 with PSA of 0.3 rapidly rising to 0.7 by 30/11/16.

(See profile for full story).

I had an MRI at the end of October (gadolinium enhanced) showing a tumour on the prostate bed.

A PET scan using F18 Choline was done on 20/12/16 which showed the tumour above on prostate bed (subtle uptake of radionuclide) and a second more aggressive tumour at a "seminal vesicle remnant" or in that area. No spread visible thus far. I started hormone therapy straight after the PET scan. (Leuprorelin along with an initial three weeks of 50mg Bicalutamide for tumour flare)

Oncologist told me on 9/1/17 he didn't want to proceed with radiotherapy as the tumour at the seminal vesicle site is surrounded by bowel and the side effects of radiotherapy would be life changing. I  was told I would now be on hormone therapy to control the cancer but no attempt would be made to cure it. I .asked for a second opinion and whether surgery and/or chemotherapy would be sensible?

I was told a definite no regarding the chemo as "it isn't appropriate for you at this point". The surgical option I am still waiting to hear about.

Three oncologists had a look at my scans and had a discussion about treatment so I am now going back to see them at the end of February with PSA figures. I will then possibly go for a planning scan with a full bladder (apparently my bladder wasn't full during the PET Scan) to see if that moves some of the bowel etc. to a point where the toxicity of radiotherapy might be reduced enough to go ahead with it. I have to be honest and say I am finding all of this extremely difficult to deal with. Treatment options seem complicated and I am worried I will receive hormone therapy until it stops working them chemo then........

I am exhausted trying to get options looked at that might improve my situation. The medics seem to be stalling and time is ticking. The tumour found in the PET scan seems quite aggressive.   Has anyone else been in this position?

• Sorry to hear this Ido4.  The thing with radiotherapy is that it can have effects on the surrounding organs mainly bowel and bladder.  Having said that if the cancer is very aggressive then the damage would be of little consequence if the cancer could be cured by radiotherapy - of course there are no definite answers you just have to keep asking questions.  I would also seek a second opinion - always worth getting another opinion in my view.

Take care and so sorry you find yourself in this situation.

Des

• Thanks Des. I will keep asking questions and try to get the best outcome possible under the circumstances. It's a hard one to take after having a radical prostatectomy and all that entails in the hope that it would result in a cure. 

Ido4

• I can imagine how you feel.  Take care.

• Hi Ido4, I’ve just read your messages, are you okay? 

• Hi Ang1404, I ended up getting salvage radiotherapy plus hormone therapy after a second opinion. I started a new thread. Thanks for asking, I have a lot of side effects but have been cancer free since 2017. I’m waiting on latest PSA result just now so a bit nervous as usual. 
    Here is a link to the thread Salvage radiotherapy by Ido4

best wishes,

Ido4