Just been diagnosed with melanoma, stage 1B.

• 31 replies
  • 69 subscribers

I’d had what I thought was a BCC excised, and at follow up was seen by the consultant who told me it was melanoma. Quite a shock to say the least!

• Just wishing you all the best for your WLE, and sharing with you my positive experience of my own WLE 6 days ago.  I had high anxiety around having it done, honestly, it was fine and my anxiety surrounding it was worse than the actual procedure.   I felt on top of the world after the procedure, and the care I received was outstanding.   I am actually feeling much better at this stage than when I had the initial biopsy done, possibly because I don't have the 'unknown' ahead of me, i.e worrying if the mole is melanoma and if so, what stage and the long wait for biopsy results.  

I am sending my best to you and your partner today for the PET scan;  my husband also has had non-hodgkin lymphoma,  his treatment was successful and no reoccurence (seven years ago).

• I agree with Edwina, mental it is much easier having the WLE than the original biopsy. The only down side as far as I am concerned and that maybe just because where my mole was, I spent 6 weeks recovering from the initial operation, just started to be able to do things, then had the WLE. I am now back to square one and feeling really frustrated as I start to go through the recovery process again.  

• Thanks for your positivity. I’m glad you are sorted now, and is was very good news about your husband!! X
  • It must be frustrating for you, hope you recover soon and get back to doing your normal things. X

• Thank you for your kind words, yes, can identify with feelings surrounding two lots of recovery - I had just got back to 'normal' and am now off work, again, for at least two weeks while the site heals.  I was day three into a new job when my biopsy was done, the stop/start process with regards work has also been difficult.  I am a keen swimmer and usually swim daily, obviously, that is not happening and just to be safe, am not planning to swim until the scar site is strong.  Instead, I am finding other things to occupy myself with and trying to remain positive.  My dermatologist has kindly pointed out that it is very likely other moles will be removed in the future, so I am slowly coming to terms with this in my own way.  My mole is on my upper chest and I have been warned there is a possibility of hypertrophic scarring.  

• I hit that "flag to moderator' button too a lot!

• Glad I’m not alone in doing that Slight smile

• Hi Mybow, I was just wondering how you’re getting on now almost a year later? I too had a lesion removed that turned out to be stage 1B melanoma, just waiting to have the WLE. 

• Hello. Very kind of you to ask

I’m ok, the WLE was successful, no abnormal cells detected. 
    I recently went to see about the BCC that I had biopsied at the same time and has since come back. I’m down to have it removed soonish. 
    The WLE went smoothly and healed very quickly. 
    Hope you have the same experience I did. 

• No problem Mybow, it’s nice to talk to someone who’s been through the same experience. Pleased to hear your WLE came back clear! Mine was totally excised back in January so the WLE is just a mop up exercise. Do you ever worry about not having the SLNB or are you still happy with your decision? I can’t have it done as I’m pregnant so I keep going through phases of “what if”. I try not to google too much! It’s all still quite new to me.