Hi new to the group 1964

• 7 replies
  • 105 subscribers

Hi, new to the group, but I have been reading the vast array of support given and want to say how encouraging and positive you all are.

my journey started in 2017, I was a healthy individual, no worries at all. However one day at work, felt a bit ill, but able to complete the day. I went home and unusual for me, went to bed early at 2030. I awoke 17 hours later drenched in sweat.

The next night In bed, I experienced a sharp pain across my chest, felt longer, but was only approximately a few seconds. The next night I had a pain, just at the bottom of my rib cage. I knew the pain could be indicative of infection and made an appointment with my GP, who prescribed antibiotics. The GP advised going to A&E if the pain worsened.

The pain did become more sever and as advised I went to A&E, where I was placed upon a nebuliser for a short period. Bloods were taken and advised that they were a bit raised, but ok. Discharged home in the same situation.

The next morning contacted by the hospital and asked to come back, to be admitted as the bloods indicated a really bad infection.

Any how, had CT and told I had puemonia and that a cavity in the left upper lung had been identified.  Had bronchoscopy but advised inconclusive, but that I could have something sinister. I was referred to the chest clinic.

A few months later had an X-ray and told the cavity had decreased in size and that I could be discharge. However by this time I was having pain, where the cavity was, in my chest. Because of this, reluctantly the doctor said she would arrange another X-ray in a few months.

I would get appointments, but these would then be cancelled. Naviely I presumed this was a good sign/ news. Fast forward 14 months when given another appointment for an X-ray which led to PET scan, which again told was inconclusive, but told activity had shown up in both lungs.

I agreed to have the left upper lobe removed by VAT’s. I was then told it was cancer 3.5cm. I did not have lymph node involvement. no further investigations, regardless of being in touch constantly, with my allocated lung nurse, requesting information and treatment plan. Allocated nurse kept putting my request down as anxiety and advised I would have to await my next appointment with the consultant in seven months time.

Seven months later had CT and told that I now had mets in other lung and I have now commenced immunotherapy treatment.

my journey has been a nightmare, I believe my diagnosis could have been curative if investigated correctly at the start, but what can you do.

obviously my journey has created anger and, frustration, but thank god I found this site. The positivity from  people has totally helped me through a very dark period of my life. 

I just wanted to say thank you, to everyone who writes on this site. The word cancer is horrific and only those going through it, really understand what it actually entails. 

• Hello Marie 1964

well that is some journey. How long have you been on immunotherapy? I just started and had one infusion but praise God will have 2nd this week but double dose so I’ll get it every 6 weeks. I’m sure you’ll find good support on this site and people who understand what you’re going through and the anxiety along the way. Hope the immuno is doing well for you and you’re not having too many side effects. 

• Hi and thanks for replying

I had 4 infusions until Friday just gone, the dose increased to 400mg and will be every 6 weeks from now on, so in total had 6 infusions

no side effects other than heavy tired legs, which is not interfering with my activities, lucky so far.

awaiting appointment for CT scan, if not heard soon (bad timing with everything going on) will have to chase it up, just hoping it still goes ahead. I have appointment with oncologist at the end of April to see how the immunotherapy is working.

hope yours goes well, without any side effects

stay safe 

Marie1964
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to marie1964

Welcome to the lung group Marie, great lot of help in here you will get.

Ray

• Hi marie1964 and welcome to our group. Sorry you have had such a journey already. I too battled with feelings of being let down by the medical team, which although different to yours, effected me for quite some time. I battled with these feelings for a long time, but have now managed to let the anger go. I know I cannot change what has happened and prefer to my energy into the here and now and let the past go.  
    There are a few members here on immunotherapy and have had really good results from it. 

Chelle 

Try to be a rainbow,in somebody else's cloud
    Maya Angelou

Community Champion badge
  • Thanks Chellesimo

you are right about letting go. It still hurts when I reflect upon how I got to where I am, but yes, it’s about looking towards the future and not letting anger get in the way

stay safe

”learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning” (Albert EInstein) 

Marie1964
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Marie

Welcome to us. 

I am so sorry to read your story, you have been badly let down throughout that. 

They do seem to like to put it down to anxiety. I have seen stories of nurses posting how they just didn't understand it really, after they themselves have been diagnosed.

Sadly a lot of us are in that same feeling position about the delayed/misdiagnosis. It is something they are trying to work on to pick up lung cancer much sooner than it is now.

Chelle gives you amazing advice there about letting the anger go. It's hard but after a while you realise you are not doing yourself any good and always looking back bitterly, only wastes your now time and your view of what you could get to in the future.

Good to hear another voice here, please stick around with us.

• hi Marie

so Pleased to hear your doing so well and six in is good. Just great that side effects not doing you any real problems. Do keep keep ina touch. So much support on here xx