Side effects support for my Mum

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 1 reply
  • 104 subscribers

Hello everyone,

This year my Mum was diagnosed with lung cancer that has spread to her spine and skeleton.  She had two courses of radiotherapy to reduce the tumours in her arms and spine, followed by a start on Afatinib 40mg.  The side effects on that dosage were pretty bad, so she has been reduced to 30mg, which is so far more manageable.

I wondered if anyone had any advice for the side effects it has particularly on her scalp and nails. 

Her scalp is very scabby and sore, making washing/brushing her hair or having it cut extremely painful, as well as day-to-day general irritation and itching. 

Her nails are also crumbling, she was told to cut them straight across to avoid making tiny cuts on her fingers which could invite infection, but this has mostly had the effect of making her nails structurally weaker (she has very tall, curved natural nails) and they seem to break even more.

Does anyone had any recommendations of either products we could try to ease her scalp or strengthen her nails in conjunction with Afatinib - or any tricks you've found? 

In the absence of ability to help other than be extreme moral support and taxi service, I thought i'd ask here and see if anyone has similar experiences on this drug or any advice I could give her.

Thanks and best wishes to you all.

Daughter

• Hi DD

Firstly, never ever underestimate the value of moral support and being a taxi service; both are essential when someone is going through the cancer process!

Nails; the advice to keep them straight and short is correct. Don't forget in normal circumstances it can take over 6 months for a damaged nail to grow out, and that timescale will be on-going for the duration of your Mum's treatment.  Has she tried a good quality nail oil and/or a treatment base coat? After over 7 years since my treatment finished, I have accepted that my nails will never be the same as they were before. I now keep them relatively short and use a conditioning base coat to strengthen them. Sorry but there is not a quick fix.

I have no experience of the scalp issue so can only suggest to perhaps use something like a tea tree oil shampoo? 

Hopefully someone who has experience of these Afatinib side effects will be along soon to provide more specific practical advice.

I wish the best possible outcomes for your Mum.

Kegsy x

"If you are going through hell, keep going" ; Sir Winston Churchill
    " Cancer may take my life; however it will not become my life" Kegsy August 2011