What event prompted your Lung Cancer diagnosis?

• 33 replies
  • 124 subscribers

Hi Everyone

I have just read a post where lung cancer was discovered by a random x-ray in A&E, when the patient went there for other reasons. 

This got me thinking; a number of years ago we had a very interesting and well contributed to discussion on here regarding this very same topic versus the standard ' having a cough for 3 weeks or more'  advice.  Very few people who contributed visited their GP based on the 'having a cough for 3 weeks or more'.  (That was back in the day when you could get a GP appointment!). MacMillan took note and stated that they would look at their on-line advice regarding the  bog-standard 'having a cough for 3 weeks or more'. I do not think the advice was ever changed, and still prevails across all Lung Cancer sites.

I will get the ball rolling with my own diagnosis experience:

I had what I always refer to as 'my 3 week bodily meltdown' where I started to experience a number of very strange neurological happenings; my left eye suddenly 'popped' and gave me double vision whenever I looked to the left, parts of  limbs were randomly going numb, my right arm/hand felt as though I had 3 good fingers on the end of a prosthetic  arm, my left foot was becoming permanently numb.  Absolutely no cough.

When I visited the GP I had prepared myself that she would initially go down the anxiety/stress route, As I knew it wasn't either of these, I was able to nip that in the bud and convince her that something serious was going on.  In my head I was going down the Motor Neuron Disease (MND) but I kept that to myself.  She arranged for me to have blood test and an chest x-ray the next day at the local hospital. As they say, the rest is history; I had Small Cell Lung Cancer.

The more of us that reveal the events leading up to the Lung Cancer diagnosis, the bigger the chance we have of expanding the current advice to more than just the 'having a cough for 3 weeks or more'.  This could lead to more people getting earlier diagnosis.

So don't be shy;so what event prompted your or loved ones Lung Cancer discovery?

Kegsy x

• Morning all. Zero symptoms here too. I went to Urgent Care with what turned out to be fairly severe Atrial Fibrillation and a chance X-ray revealed I had more to worry about than my heart.

I find the 'cough for more than three weeks' adverts extremely irritating now - it's like the system is merely paying lip service to a virulent killer. Early diagnosis is crucial and that can only be achieved via a screening programme, where people could also be given some useful facts and figures.

• Thank all of you who have contributed so far. 

Everyone else, please keep the stories coming as the more evidence we have, the better chance of getting the 'cough for 3 weeks or more'  advice updated/expanded.

Kegsy x

"If you are going through hell, keep going" ; Sir Winston Churchill
    " Cancer may take my life; however it will not become my life" Kegsy August 2011
  • I had a cough for weeks (3 months). The doctor gave me 2 lots of antibiotics, I had a chest X-ray which didn’t show anything and it was only by getting angry and telling the doctor over the phone that I was really worried and shared my family history regarding cancer (which was really bad) that he actually took action. He sent me to A & E where I had a CT scan and was told I had lung cancer and also a tumour on my right kidney. I had lost weight, sweating at night etc, but the doctor seemed to think there was nothing to worry about. Still angry about it! 

• Hi Grandmar , I agree with you about doctors  "there's nothing to worry about " attitude , of course they are not worried , it's not their bodies  , my doctor told me " it's nothing sinister " I saw him once after my operation to remove part of my lung with the cancer in it , he couldn't look at me in the eye just mumbled " it's hard to diagnose " I nearly told him it was even harder to diagnose without getting scans done but bit my ltongue and changed practices , that was my second time facing cancer and I lost trust in them as I thought what if I get it again   which I have , I had no trust in my doctors to help me in the 3rd battle .

Hope you get the right treatment now and use your anger to fight the cancer x 

• No symptoms with my husband. In October he had an episode where he couldn't control his arm. Went to A&E and they did an MRI and thought it was a TIA. Put under the care of the stroke team, and told to come back the following month. Couple more small episodes before seeing consultant who said there was scarring from previous strokes. We were shocked as we didn't know when they'd happened. Told to return in April. Then in January a much larger episode where he nearly blacked out. Sent for MRI with contrast scan and was told it was 3 brain tumours! Following week after a chest CT the news was stage 4 lung cancer. No symptoms at all. Even now a month later he is feeling weak but still no cough. 

Not sure if anyone can help though...my husband has virtually lost all his taste. Most things taste awful or different than usual. Has anyone experienced this and can offer any advice? 

• Hello

Having chemo seems to dull my taste and things taste very bland. But the coffee can taste very bitter. Which is a shame as that's how I like to start the day.

Hollsmolls

1. My dad was diagnosed on January 5th after a visit to A&E on the 27th Dec. For a few weeks prior he had a slight cough nothing at all sinister this was more like a clearing of the throat slight tickle now and again he also thought he had acid redux. He had lost some weight and was not eating as much and was blaming the reflux. He was 88 walked everywhere and looked after himself & was on holiday in the October prior and apart from not walking as much as usual on holiday he was fine. Xmas day he looked very tired and pale. The diagnosis was stage 4 lung cancer that had spread to his liver.  Due to his age and the staging etc no treatment and palative care. Bloods and initial thoughts in A&E were pneumonia and was sent for a chest X-ray to confirm but a mass was found on the lung and CT scan was done 2 days later. 
  • Hi Kegsy

Ive just been diagnosed with stage  2B lung Cancer I had no symptoms but in November I collapsed and they X-rayed my chest for broken ribs found a shadow ,After Ct scan ,Pet Ct scan and biopsy I have my diagnosis and treatment plan of neoadjuvant  treatment prior to Surgery,I see the Consultant next week ,

Bopalena x

• My dad SCLC was diagnosed from him being admitted to hospital with Pneumonia in February. I don't think we would have found it if it wasn't for the Pneumonia.

• Hi Kegsy

I had covid in April 2022. In April 2023 I had a chest infection and was given antibiotics.

My lovely doctor called to ask how I was after the course of antibiotics. I told her I hadn't felt right since having covid a full year before. I was thinking I possibly had long covid.

Before covid I was regularly doing 16,000 steps per day and was reasonably fit for my age.

After covid I became aware that my fitness had begun to fade. I told her that I previously did 16,000 steps per day and was now struggling to do 6,000 steps.

She sent me for a chest x ray which lead to a ct scan, then a pet scan and head scan. Then 2 different biopsies before I found out I had stage 2b adenocarcinoma in my right lung.

I am still in awe of the decision my doctor made to send me for the initial x ray. If she hadn't I would still be thinking I had long covid and the cancer would have continued to grow.

I have since had an upper right lobectomy and part of the middle lobe was removed too. I then had adjuvant chemo to ensure the cancer didn't come back. I saw the consultant on Thursday and she has told me I am now in remission.

I have been hearing that screening for lung cancer is a possibility in the near future. I do think this is a good idea and hope to hear that it does happen soon.