PCI radiotherapy to head

• 11 replies
  • 102 subscribers

Just wondering if anyone has had PCI radiotherapy to their head to prevent cancer spreading to their brain after chemo has been finished? There is a high risk of this happening with lung cancer apparently,which i find terrifying! If any of you have had it could you please say how it went? and what were the side effects? i am trying to gather info to make a decision whether or not to have it. I don't care if i lose all my hair,better to have sanity and life i think . All replies will be gratefully looked at Bless you all            Jaunty

• Hi Jaunty

I had my treatment, including PCI, back in 2011 and  7 years later am still here very much alive, kicking and fully compos mentis!

As the PCI is preventative it is delivered at a much lower dose than the usual radiotherapy.  Also it is not given until at least 6 weeks after chemo to greatly reduce any long term side effects. Trust your Consultant, he/she will be very experienced with this.

Fantastic news that you have finished you chemo.

Good luck with the PCI, you will be fine.

Kegsy x

"If you are going through hell, keep going" ; Sir Winston Churchill
    " Cancer may take my life; however it will not become my life" Kegsy August 2011