What to expect in last week of Radiotherapy

• 18 replies
  • 34 subscribers

Hi all

Im now on my 6th week of RT for tongue and lymph node cancer. I managed to eat well during the first 2 weeks which gradually got harder due to Swollen sore tongue, cheeks, roof of mouth and back of throat. During the 3rd and 4th weeks I managed to eat soup and mashed up meals until last week whereas I can only drink liquid food or milk, everything tastes of salt and is really painful in my mouth.

I’ll soon be starting the last week and I’m having 4 food drinks per day, half taken through the rig and most medicines through the rig as they are also too painful by mouth. I’m just wondering if this is enough nutrients and when will everything stop tasting of salt? 

• I’m feeling very down this weekend because it’s the worst I’ve felt.

It’s horrid. I felt completely flattened and overwhelmed, add to that I miscounted and turned up on my last day to be told I had one more. I can’t describe how I felt but you can imagine. 
    Just hunker down and do it day by day. Make sure you have everything you need, and more, when you e finished because the abrupt cut off of wrap around care is a shock as well as a relief. 
    I agree with the pump feed suggestion. It means the food is drip fed slowly so you don’t get that slushy tummy. I fed at night which left the day free. 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • How do you feed at night? Is this something the hospital can arraange?

• Pump. 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Hi many feed during the night with a pump I fed  during the daytime again with a pump I had a rucksack so I could potter around  with it  or nap during and the feed went in slowly. Ask tomorrow. Never feel alone we’ve been there done it got the t shirt. Just don’t plan anything for the weeks when radiotherapy finishes. You may get worse as it continues to work. I remember feeling lost as you are no longer seeing medi people daily. I felt Ives cast out to the lions. Although I did see my oncologist and dietitian you get used to seeing g medical staff daily. So we’re just preparing you. 
    I did. almost nothing the first 2 weeks after in bed or doing oral care feeding then repeating it was like Groundhog Day. . Fitting meds in as well 

hugs Hazel 

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

My blog is www.radioactiveraz.wordpress.com  HPV 16+ tonsil cancer Now  6 years  post treatment. 35 radiotherapy 2 chemo T2N2NM.Happily getting on with living always happy to help

• Do not worry, your team will show you exactly how to use your tube at night. It will definitely help you. Take each day at a time. You are soooo close to the end of your treatment! This is amazing! With regards to your taste buds, once more just take one day at a time. We are all different. Just be kind to yourself. Once you can introduce food again, do not force yourself to eat food that you cannot tolerate, just try to eat what you like ( I ate a lot of chocolate mousses with cream in the first year). Progressively food will be pleasurable again. 

You are doing so well. 

Sending you loads of positive vibes. 

Fab1

• Hi Sue, yes, your team will sort it all out, you will get a pump, tubes and the stand to hold the feed bag. Mine was all delivered to the house. Don't worry they will explain everything to you. The feed is very slow overnight or whenever you choose to do it, so there is no feeling of it swishing about.

Ray.

• Brilliant it will be much easier as I’ve just inserted a bottle by rig and I’m worried to move incase I’m sick! Nauseated face 

• Thanks Hazel yep defo Groundhog Day. I’ve got used to doing nothing at weekends which will prepare me for the weeks after when I’m not up for doing anything. I feel so bad when friends text to say that they’ll pop round for a chat which is the last thing I want at the mo because my throat is so sore. Hopefully that light will get closer shortly and I’ll enjoy some normality. Sue x