Hello...hoping for some help

• 22 replies
  • 134 subscribers

Hi,

I've just joined the forum and I'm really hoping somebody can help me.  I was diagnosed with an Ameloblastic Carcinoma (T4N0M0) last year which was surgically removed in November.  I just finished a 6 week course of adjuvant RT on my right jaw and neck a couple of weeks ago (that's not much fun is it!). I've not been able to eat since about the end of week 2 and I've been pump fed overnight since then through my PEG tube. 

I'm trying to work out how to get back to eating again.  Everything tastes disgusting and makes me feel so sick.  I've tried a few mouthfuls of custard and jelly but I really can't cope with more than that.  I'm struggling to drink more than a cup of water/tea a day and have to syringe extras down my tube to stay hydrated.

How did everyone else get back to eating/drinking, how long did it take, when did the nausea stop, how do you deal with the thick saliva??

Sorry, so many questions.  I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed and I'm scared I might be stuck like this forever.

• Hi. I have a meeting with my dietitian every two weeks and she told me to concentrate on one meal a day first. Then slowly with time add another meal. I can eat breakfast. I can taste everything and texture isn’t an issue for me. I’m three months post treatment. I started eating about a month ago. I too up with ensure through the Peg as the smell and taste of ensure makes me throw up instantly. Like you I wanted to get this show on the road but realise that it’s going to take time and honestly I’m in no rush to lose to peg especially as I can’t tolerate Ensure. 

breakfast for me is either egg sausage and coconut pancake or packet oats with lots of maple syrup. Sometimes granola. This has many calories as an ensure so this week I dumped the. Real fast ensure feed. I still feed at noon, 3pm and 6pm. 

During the day I’ll eat dried fruit like cranberries, shortbread and crackers, hard boiled eggs which I can nibble on during the day.    The more bland the food , the happier I am. I also was a foodie and so this has been quite a shock to my system . But I leaned to just go with the flow.  It will come back

I also found keeping a food diary helps. I don’t write daily but whenever I add a new food I record it. You’ll be amazed going over your notes of the progress you’re making without realising it  

• Hi there, Nicky T2N1M0 finished CRT August 2023. Well done for getting through and keeping up the food fight.  It is tough, and you feel like it’ll never end, but it does get easier. I’m 8 months down the line and I still have issues with all sorts. Nothing tastes the same anymore, can’t eat carbs at all, chocolate (!!) a no no how sad is that. I still glug warm drinks all day to aid eating. I lost 30kg from diagnosis to coming home and thereafter.  My dietary food police are really good.  I keep a food diary which I find useful.  I managed to avoid tube and PEG through shear bloody mindedness, so I’m more fortunate than some here.  Keep at it, speak to anyone here on the forum, they’re all amazing.  Don’t get disheartened; one day at a time.  Nix

• I am full of admiration for anyone who gets through all that without using a tube/RIG/PEG.  I thought I was pretty bloody minded. Clearly I’m an amateur. I could not have survived without my RIG.  I’m only 3 months post treatment, and my biggest issue is carbs.  I can just about tolerate some breads, but pasta, potatoes, rice and, sadly chocolate are definitely off the menu.  It’s a texture thing. Hopefully this will improve with time. 

• Clearly I’m an amateur

We are all different. Some of us just have really nasty side effects from the treatment. I certainly did. Others have an easier ride. 
    My consultant is fond of telling the tale of a patient of his having just finished six weeks of proton celebrated with a Big Mac! 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Oh what I'd give to be able to eat a burger...and taste it! (not necessarily a Big Mac)

I'm struggling getting anything down but I've decided I'm not rushing things, I'll just keep going with my swallowing exercises, drink what I can and try little bits and pieces to see what I can/can't tolerate.

xx

• Hi baby steps slowly slowly is the best way. As for  burgers they are pretty dense so maybe put that to back of   list for a while. A lot of people used to tellme to eat mince it’s so hard I could around 6/9 month manage a well known a store Cumberland pie ( m snd s ) but home made took a lot longer.

Slow cooked lamb was far easier plus chicken thighs over chicken breast even now at al most 6  years thighs win . Don’t be disheartened some weeks you can eat something only ti try the following week and you can’t. We wasted so much food hubby ended up putting weight on eating my leftovers. 
    You’ll get there 

Hazel 

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

My blog is www.radioactiveraz.wordpress.com  HPV 16+ tonsil cancer Now 5 years  post treatment. 35 radiotherapy 2 chemo T2N2NM.Happily getting on with living always happy to help  

• I'm struggling getting anything down but I've decided I'm not rushing things, I'll just keep going with my swallowing exercises, drink what I can and try little bits and pieces to see what I can/can't tolerate.

THAT is the best attitude and will get you there without too many meltdowns and disappointment 

Its a marathon, not a sprint for most of us but we get there 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Hello Gentle Whisper, it just takes time, things should start to improve gradually for you from around now. If the nausea is still bad, tell your team and they should give you stronger meds - it took a while to get mine under control. Taste and appetite will return slowly - less than 18 months after treatment I'm able to eat everything & just have a slightly dry mouth though not everyone is so lucky. Hang in there! 

Catriona

September 2022 aged 63 diagnosed with HPV associated SCC base of tongue T4 N2 M0. Chemo & radiotherapy for 6 weeks ending Nov 2022.  Dec 2023 one year all clear. See my profile for longer story

• My nausea is under control but I'm still struggling when I'm trying to swallow food, particularly anything that's a bit dryer.  I tried a tiny bit of scrambled egg on toast this evening...I won't be trying that again for a while.  Took all my willpower not to vom.

• Thanks, dry foods are a struggle so for now I'll stick with yoghurt and rice pudding.  That's about all I can tolerate at the moment, but I'm so fed up of sweet stuff.  I'm craving savoury.

I'll have to try to the food diary idea.  Others have mentioned it too.