Dry Mouth Issues

• 17 replies
  • 73 subscribers

Hi all, I’m now into week 5 post treatment and have Extreme Dry Mouth. This is preventing me sleeping and is extremely painful. I’ve found the last 2-3 nights particularly challenging and have had a bit of an emotional breakdown with the pain and discomfort at 3am. This has also caused my progress to backtrack as I’m no longer able to manage pain relief orally.

I’m looking for advice please on what type of routine I should be using to manage this each day. I have a nebuliser which i don’t feel is workng as well due to the dry mouth i think. Should I just increase the number of times I’m using it? I am still bringing up secretions which can be quite thick.

I’ve tried Biotene dry mouth wash but find this irritates my mouth. I’ve also tried Oralieve dry mouth spray but the mint is really painful on any ulcers. I’ve been using a salt water rinse which doesn’t seem to bring any relief.

I can appreciate there’s never a quick win, but if you could please help me navigate this stage. I’m also at the stage I want to try eating (currently have an NG Tube) but as everything is so painful it’s a real struggle.

Thankyou

Suzanne

• Thanks Lizzie

There’s so much gels and sprays available it is quite confusing what to try. I have also been rinsing with salt water but I’m not sore what relief it brings. Feel like I need to be doing something.

• Hi Suzanne 

I had three episodes of oral thrush....a lot of discomfort on top of all the other issues associated with recovery..... Nystatin did the trick for me.

Treatment is harsh on our bodies.... but things will improve with time.

Take care and best of luck 

Peter 

• Hi Suzanne

It might be early days yet if your mouth is painful but I have found that Xylimelts (I use the mint free ones) really help me at night. Initially I was unable to use them as they would rub against the tissues in my mouth and make it painful but lately I have been able to re-use them. They keep my mouth moist all night. While my mouth was painful I did use Biotene gel and put a dab on my tongue using a cotton bud. It worked quite well but at times made my throat catch and made me cough but not all the time. In between I use Biotene mouth spray. It gives some short term relief. I carry a bottle in my bag when I go out. Sips of water help too.

Lyn

Sophie66

• Thanks Lyn

As soon as the thrush has cleared I’m going to try the various sprays and gels. I’ll have a look at the Xylimelts also for night as that’s always an issue..

• I’ll have a look at the Xylimelts also for night as that’s always an issue..

They work really well for me and I still use one five years later. I’ve a tendency to sleep with my mouth open which makes it really worse so I’ve taken to using sleep tape and taping it shut. Latest entry in my blog has an alarming picture. 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Thanks Dani, I’m certainly going to give them a try