Length of time to get treatment

• 18 replies
  • 74 subscribers

Why does it take so long - why do they advertise treatment plan in 31/62 days?

husband went to dr at start of November- ultrasound & biopsy not til end of December. Consultant start of Jan & told cancer.

pet ct- mri- tonsils out & endoscopy now done. Back to consultant last night ( another one - never see the same person twice) - again told its cancer ( yep already got that) . Now wants another ultrasound!

then will refer to oncology- another 2 weeks- then hopefully start treatment- another 4 weeks after.  So going to be 5 months before any treatment.

hospital is 90 mins away- asked if we could go to the one that’s 30 mins away to be met pretty much with a no

feeling very let down 

• thank you to all who have replied 

Update - went to next consultant apt - another different person - felt like we were starting all over again.  Consultant asked what we thought the problem was - despite having been told 2 months ago it was cancer.

then say need teeth xray - expected that & wants another ultrasound guided biopsy doing!!  - why.

Says oncologist apt will be about 2 wees then another 4 to start treatment.

Asked if we could go to the hospital closer ( there is one half the distance away that does the correct treatment) to be met with a sharp intake of breath & a very golum like attitude,

Went to ultrasound/ biopsy - when got there they have asked for the other side of the neck.Dr looked said nothing there - did ultrasound & again confirmed ( i think for about the 4th time) nothing on that side so nothing to biopsy.

Having quoted timescales ( & our particular health trust recently on tv for failing n cancer timescales) we have now got the next coupe of apts.

•   I would start a complaint with PALS and do it today. The cavalier fashion you have been treated is unacceptable. A complaint should get things going. Xx

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • To add to Dani's response it is your right to have treatment at a hospital of your choice.  If the one close offers the treatment and you are confident in them ask to be referred.

Peter
    See my profile for more details of my convoluted journey
  • latest update - finally got to the oncologist - asked again if we could be referred to the closer hospital & finally a yes!!  why this couldn't have been done in January??  so this was essentially another wasted journey and appointment.

To add to that - consultant said pet CT & MRi scans now very old & need to do new ones.

Yet more waste & cost within the NHS

so 1st went to Dr in November now april  still at least another month to go before any treatment 

• Good evening Mabel, lets hope your husband gets better treatment at the closer hospital, you certainly have been messed about, it sounds to me as if there has been a big communication breakdown previously. Hope all goes well with the scans, it does make sense to have them re-done although it should not have gotten to this stage. I wish you and your husband all the very best for the treatment. Take care.

Chris x

Its sometimes not easy but its worth it ! 

Community Champion Badge

• and bumped back to the original hospital! i the time between first asking for a transfer and last consultant visit - the person at the closer hospital left and has not been replaced.

So back to nearly 90 mins journey each way.

On the plus side we now have a treatment start date of 8 May . Mask being done today then got to sort appointment for RIG.

• So back to nearly 90 mins journey each way.

I managed the same. Two hours each way. Husband drove me and in the last two weeks I dozed. The bump back may be capacity. If your choice of hospital just doesn’t have the space there’s little choice such is the parlous state of qualified staff and number of machines. 
    Wish your husband good luck with the mask. I found it easy enough and the techies talk you through it. Mine was done in the simulation room so I had my planning CT done as soon as it was hard. 
    A lot of  the newer masks have preformed eyeholes. If his doesn’t ask to have them cut. The treatment is much easier if you can see out. 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge