Neck dissection decision

• 23 replies
  • 76 subscribers

Hi

im new to this forum. I have been diagnosed with tongue cancer and have been offered surgery as treatment including reconstructive tongue flap. The surgeon said I could opt to have a full neck dissection on one side or go out of area for a scan and monitor the lymph nodes. However, he said this would delay my surgery and be less reliable than dissection.

has anyone got experience of these options and decision. I have an OPA in Hull on Wednesday to discuss 

• Hi Chris

Thanks for the clarification. I understand what you mean about going into panic mode and just wanting to get rid of the cancer. 48 is such a young age to get cancer.  My first op and radiotherapy was in 2013 so they had made more strides in understanding about side effects and then when I had more radiotherapy in 2019 on the other side of my face it had even further improved and it was much more targeted. I did not have cancer return to the same areas so the radiotherapy must have worked for me and the third cancer was in yet another area so it just kept moving around. That's the joy of jaw cancer there is so much jaw for the cancer to work with lucky thing !! I hope it has been knocked on the head now but will just have to wait and see. Life goes on fortunately and I love every minute of it.

Best wishes

Lyn

x

Sophie66

• Thanks to all who have commented in this thread. It has been very helpful for me. I have decided to trust the teams advice and have all the lymph nodes removed on one side. I’m 44 and they feel I have a good chance of recovery and of being cancer free if I go ahead. Surgery will be in 3-6 weeks so I’m going to focus on preparing myself. If anyone has any tips on that or post op recovery I’d welcome that 

sarah

• Hi Sarah I think I would do what you have decided along with the experts . They have saved me twice already . All the best Regards Minmax 

• I had surgery for tongue cancer and surgeon said the biopsy indicates that it is the kind of cancer that could spread to neck lymph nodes. He is advising neck dissection but I wonder if a ultra sound scan plus biopsy would be a better less invasive option?

• I have had 2 neck dissections and they caused me the least of my issues.  Initially I have an enlarged lymph which was investigated by U/S and needle biopsy.  The result was negative.  My surgeon still wanted to remove the lymph and when full pathology was done on the lymph it was SCC HPV+.  I feel a needle biopsy is a bit like looking for a needle in a haystack.  Great if it hits the right spot otherwise potential for a false negative.

Peter
    See my profile for more details of my convoluted journey
  • Thanks Peter

That makes sense!

• Peter is spot on. FNAs are hit and miss. Add to that ultrasound won’t pick up tiny cancers in lymph nodes. My tongue cancer was one that would spread to my lymph nodes too. There was no sign on MRI. I had to have radiotherapy anyway so I had some  targeted at my neck to take care if any cancer there. 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Thanks Dani

It is looking like I will haven't to accept having the cervical node incission surgery in the next few weeks. Is it a risk to delay for a month or two?

• s it a risk to delay for a month or two?

You need to ask your surgeon/ oncologist. The interval between my spotting the cancer and getting my first RT was four months. I was T2N0 ( no nodal spread on MRI and ultrasound but neck treated anyway … a larger dose on the cancer side) 

Hazel (  ) will likely pop on soon  she had multiple neck nodes affected with cancer but her oncologist treated her with CRT and no surgery  

We are both five plus years clear  

It’s my understanding that oral and oropharyngeal squamous cell carcinoma is an aggressive cancer. 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Thanks for info. Im not familiar with all abbreviations, is RT radio therapy?