Diagnosed In December with CLL at 52

• 14 replies
  • 23 subscribers

Hi

I was diagnosed with CLL in December , 8 days before my 53rd birthday after having routine blood tests to go on HRT!

As far as I knew fit & healthy.  Its a shock, I'm angry, I'm lost and I don't know how/if to tell the kids (14,24,29). Xmas and New Year was hard having this big secret.

I've had more bloods done and full body CT scan and waiting on results.  My consultant hinted I would not need treatment straight away but in the next few years as I am anaemic.

Any advise on how/if to tell the kids would be greatly appreciated.

The 2 older ones live in London with their partners, the youngest at home with me, he's the one I worry about.  Life for teens is tough enough without having to deal with a parent with C.

Getting us altogether is usually 'an occasion/celebration' and so the logistics alone of having them all together in my house to sit down and talk is hard.

Anyone else had similar circumstances?

Thanks for reading.

• Hi Lola, I have my first appointment tomorrow with Haemotology. A little in the dark as what to expect. I have a swollen lymth gland under armpit and I have also possibly got some skin cancer. The dermatologist has taken some biopsies last week and they have said it takes 6 weeks to get results back! 

All this waiting has stressed me out and Im now at home from work. Can't face going in at the moment. I have cried every day for 2 weeks but that is how I get it all out. I am trying hard to process it all and its a struggle. I'm already on antidepressants as had so much other stuff go on the last year. 

I think once I have been for my appointment I will know more but I am terrified! 

Yes it would be nice to have another person who understands and you can chat to. Even though I chat to my family I feel like I'm in a different world right now. If you know what I mean. 

I'm sure when you tell your youngest the older ones will be so supportive. You keep talking to one another and if you need to let it out or be miserable you do that! 

I know exactly how you are feeling. 

Stay in touch (P.S I'm in Bedfordshire)

Sue xx

• Oh and don't get me started on HRT!!! LOL 

• Hi Sue,

I will be thinking of you tomorrow. X

i think I’ve cried everyday since my diagnosis, even on a good day something sets me off!  I’ve been told it will get easier and we will get used to this.  

Im in Hertfordshire 

X

• Thank you Lola. You’re the not too far away! It’s really nice to meet you & if it’s any consalation I really do know how you feel. Stay strong xxxx