Vague ultrasound scan

• 14 replies
  • 32 subscribers

Hi everyone,

I’m a 47 year old mum of two young children. I’ve been perimenopausal for a few years but recently came off HRT as it was no longer managing my symptoms.

I have been bleeding for the past 8 weeks, at times severely, with intermittent pelvic pain. I came off the mirena coil just before Christmas and initially thought the bleeding was because of this. I’m taking tranexamic acid which is helping, however I’m now anemic due to the blood loss.

I had a transvaginal ultrasound this week which has shown a mass on my cervix, so my GP has fast-tracked me for a hysteroscopy. He said it wasn’t clear what the mass could be - he said possibly a polyp or cyst but couldn’t be certain.Is this vagueness normal? I’d assumed that a polyp or cyst would be clearly detected on an internal ultrasound? It’s the uncertainty that’s stressful and I keep thinking the worst. 

Thanks so much for reading and I would be grateful to hear from anyone else who is going through something similar xx

• Hi Sarah, Oh I'm so sorry to hear that you're unwell.  I was wondering and wanted to ask if you were ok but didn't want it to seem like I was prying.  I wish you a very speedy recovery and hope that you are now at home.  Sending you big hugs and prayers xxx

• Hi Emily

It’s pretty standard to say “suspected” cancer as this gets you normally seen quicker than otherwise happens. It does not mean you have cancer at this point, as a biopsy is needed for a diagnosis. Try not to let it frighten you. I really hope you get an appointment soon.

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Thank you Julie. I am home, but had a tough time when this happened last Friday. I couldn’t speak or make any sense so got blue lighted by ambulance with 6 staff waiting in A&E to take me for a CT scan. I am getting better with my speech etc-lots of therapy in hospital and I have done well. 

It was very scary…putting things in place now so I can get help, if anything happens again like this. I was very vulnerable being alone in the house unable to message. Appreciate the hugs and prayers! 

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Hi

I had the same tv scan initially and mainly they are looking for thickness of uterine lining. It's not clear enough to evaluate any lumps properly and that's why they can't say anything definitive as yet.

Even when the doctor did my biopsy she couldn't tell whether it was an ectropion or  cancer until she got the biopsy results.

Unlucky for me it was cancer but everything I was told before that would have been the same so please don't read too much into anything until you get results.

Mas xx