Scared and apprehensive about Radical Hysterectomy, just empty and numb inside.

• 26 replies
  • 26 subscribers

Hi, 

I am booked for my radical Hysterectomy on Tuesday 2nd April.  I am really scared, anxious and apprehensive.  Also worried about what they will find extra in there.  Have also been dealing with faecal impaction which doesn’t seem to be moving with anything I am taking or doing.  Just over this and want it all to be over.  Tightness in my chest and abdomen is still there can only eat liquid foods like cuppa soups anything solid just sits and causes more tightness.  My tummy is really sore up touch and can barely walk.  I was diagnosed with Poorly differentiated adenocarcinoma grade 3 provisional stage.  They will stage me after surgery and all the results are back from my biopsies of all the parts they remove and my cancer too.  Then next stage of treatment will be decided.  I will also be getting a colonoscopy to check my bowel for cancer due to how long I have been constipated for and my huge worrying weight loss.  On Tuesday they will clinically assess me and decide from there what to do.  Hopefully the surgery cause I just want this cancer removed.  It scares me wondering after a month and a bit of finding it and how long it had been there before what it has been doing all this time being grade 3.  I am so tired all the time, sore and nauseous.  I have been dealing with one thing after another since November last year!! I have lost my positivity and just sit numb and empty waiting for the next thing.  I just do t feel right in my body and you know when something is not right.  It has been great having this forum and having people to talk to.  I miss my family and close friend in New Zealand.  My mum is here from NZ to support me through this.  She is very worried and just wants the cancer removed.  I am also on fortisips, and a weight plan.  Crafting and knitting keeps me distracted.  
have a lovely Easter.  
Megan 

• Hi May,

Waited at A&E for nearly 12 hours.  To be informed after all that time that they didn’t want to start anything there as my surgery would be not happening and it is super important that I get it done asap.  They also didn’t want to risk the fact it was a public holiday and discharge may not happen tonight in time for me to go tomorrow to Southend so sent me home to sleep., I sat waiting for a bed for 5 hours to be told this.  I was exhausted.  Was not a great experience at the A&E, much nicer when you go in an ambulance. 
    Thanks for messaging.  Will keep you updated for tomorrow.  
    Megan 

• I’m really sorry to read that  

It can be a really difficult decision to go to A&E, but it’s usually best when shortness in your chest is a symptom as that can be really dangerous. 

It would have been better if they’d checked that symptom out and let you home because of needing to be in hospital tomorrow rather than leave you to wait. They wouldn’t have dealt with your bowel issues or anything else given you are due to be back in hospital tomorrow but I would have expected them to check your heart/lungs. 

I hope things go well when you are admitted tomorrow, and hope to hear from you when you’re able.

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Hi  

Oh no, all that waiting sounds horrible. Sorry that happened to you. Good luck tomorrow. Hopefully the docs will be able to help you asapxxx

• Na had X-ray and and all to check my heart all good there.  All related to my impaction.  Off to hospital now.  Op day.  

• They were going to but couldn’t guarantee discharge in time for my op today because of a public holiday. 

• Hi  

I haven’t seen you post recently and was a bit concerned. I hope you’re doing ok, and will let us know how you are when you’re able.

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

• Hi Sarah,

Thank you for your concern.  I had my surgery on 2nd April.  Radical Hysterectomy.  Have been resting and recovering at home.  Spent 6 says in hospital.  Have to wait 3-4 weeks for my results from the biopsies and tests done on the cancer and the parts removed.  She removed everything.  Part of vagina, cervix, the cancer, ovaries, uterus and fallopian tubes and pelvic lymph nodes.  Will see oncologist again soon and they will decide what next stage of treatment is.  Possible chemo/radiation just have to wait and see.  The waiting is hard, but I am focussing on my recovery at the moment and trying to keep my mind focused on other things.  Have started knitting again. Hope you are well.  Will update you when I know more.  Have been thinking a lot lately about how one minute I was healthy and next minute sick and got worse week by week and all the stuff that went along with it.  My surgeon said that my uterus was very huge and it was pushing on my bowel which was causing me to feel full and the tightness of the chest and abdomen, this was also a part of the pain and the not being able to walk properly and feeling very heavy down below.  So she went into my large bowel and cleared it all out during surgery. I was in surgery for 5 hours and was kept in recovery for 5 hours.  
    have a great day 

Megan 

• Hi Megan

Its really good to hear from you, and to see you are out of surgery and recovering. 

Gosh, no wonder you were in so much pain and not able to walk properly. I’m sure you’ll feel a lot better now, and be able to recover gently before any next steps are required. It was a long surgery and recovery time, and you’ve had a lot carried out, so I hope you’re taking it very easy and being looked after.

Knitting is a good idea to keep yourself distracted and you can just concentrate on getting better. I’m useless at anything like that, though I have thought I might take up crochet sometime-maybe should have been doing that in the winter and making blankets! 

You’ve had a horrible time of it in the past few months, but hopefully things will be on the up for you now and you’ll have a plan if it’s needed once the biopsy results come back. Take care, and look after yourself.

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

• Just wanted to say Im sending good thoughts your way. I'm in a similar situation and was just told I'll need a radical hysterectomy as my cone biopsy showed LVSI. Reading your fears - I felt like I could have written them as those have been my same worries and fears. Wishing you all the best. Stay strong!! Sounds like you have good support and a plan in place which is so important. Know these fears are normal and there are so many of us feeling those same things. 

• Thank you so much.  This group has been amazing.  Yep all the emotions have been and gone and now just feel empty with nothing left.  Good luck for your radical hysterectomy.  X