Therapeutic Mammoplasty

• 29 replies
  • 269 subscribers

Hi All

I'm having surgery in three weeks to remove three Invasive Lobular masses in my left breast. The right came up clear in a recent MRI.

My surgeon said I could have a lumpectomy but the total area size would be over 6cm and that would leave my remaining breast indented or misshapen. The second option is mastectomy and the third is a therapeutic mammoplasty (I'm a 38DD).

I'm considering a mammoplasty but can't seem to find many conversations about this procedure. I understand it's relatively new in regards to breast surgery for cancer. I was wondering if there is anyone on here who has recently had this procedure and what the outcomes were, including any problems, recovery time etc. I'm concerned about the risk of infection at the t-section that will be under the breast.

Many thanks for reading.

Jo

• I had a 'doughnut mastoplexy' - they enter through a ring cut around the nipple and no other scars. Went well the first time despite two tumours 7cm and 1cm. Was totally happy with the result which was matching enough not to have another operation. Recommend highly; good result, quick recovery, no infection, out same day, back to work reasonably quickly apart from lifting......

now the margins weren't good enough and the second op has left an indent and one boob very different to the other.

Now to decide whether to have the other done....? How do people decide???? 

The decision is the hardest part in all of this I find!!

• It is amazing but the biggest issue is if you are very small or small breasted your choices are very limited.  I told my surgeon that too as I am a 34A so not much extra to remove.  I did have lumpectomies in both breasts followed by radiation and thank God my surgeons were very skilled and caring too.  

Barbara 

• oh lovely it’s so tricky. I understand that completely. I was diagnosed in September 2022 and first of all was told I’d have a lump ectomy but upon further investigation the cancer  was more widespread and in both boobs but because my bra size was 34G my surgeon suggested a therapeutic  mammoplastomy .  

. like others have said it is a really long operation. I think I was under for six hours but because I had both breasts  done at the same time so look really well aligned I  have an anchor scar and my nipples look different but they are still there! The recovery does take longer because the operation is more complex. I did have lymph node involvement but my oncho  score  was low.

The fear of recurrence is there always though and I’m not sure if I’ve had the bilateral mastectomy instead I wouldn’t be as worried but as they say there aren’t any guarantees and we just have to try and work out how to live with it. I don’t look like me still but I’m pretty pleased with the surgical results. It’s the letrozole. I struggle with more to be honest but if your surgeon suggests that option I’d recommend it you have to do what’s right for you both mentally and physically take care sweetie. 

• Hi Emma

I'm seeing the surgeon tomorrow to find out the results of my second biopsy and hopefully get a confirmed date for surgery. I know he's pencilled it in for 20th Sept but this may change once he knows I definitely want the mammoplasty. I'm just hoping the biopsy results don't mean a mammoplasty is out of the question and I have to have a mastectomy instead. I'm dreading tomorrow's meeting tbh, every time I go there I get bad news.

Hope your recovery is going well Pray tone3

Jo

xxx

• sending you lots of love x and I hope you get the news you hope for xx

• Oh Leaps, you are so right! The decisions are so hard to make. I'm just so scared of making the wrong decision.

I think my surgeon will cut around the nipple and down towards the underside of the breast crease and along the breast crease, so I will have a T shape incision. This will enable him to cut out all the masses in my boob. I am worried about getting clear margins though. My surgeon said he would 'do' my other boob in about a years time when treatment has finished. They don't like to do them at the same time in case radiotherapy changes the size of the bad boob.

Have you started the next stage of your treatment yet?

Good luck with everything

Jo xx

• Thank you ThereShels

I'm glad you are happy with the outcome of your new-look boobs but sorry you are struggling with the letrozole. It's all just a nightmare, isn't it.

I'm scared of making the wrong decision about having the mammoplasty, sometimes I wonder if a mastectomy would be easier...

But I guess nothing is easy now...

Take care my lovely

Jo

xxx

• Thank you so much. 

Big hugs to you xx

• Hi Jo

I will be thinking of you tomorrow x It is nerve wracking each time I go too.

please reply after your appointment x

I see my oncologist on the 20th for my treatment plan. I'm trying not to get too worked up about it but I'm scared he will tell me I need the chemo before radiotherapy.

fingers crossed for you tomorrow xx

• Hi Jo,

Did you ask for the other boob to get 'done' afterwards? I've read this trail with interest as nothing has ever been mentioned about me having the good boob sorted afterwards, yet it seems to have been discussed with other women as standard? When I was getting assessed for mammoplasty the surgeon just said I had 'enough to spare' but that there would be a risk of unevenness and deformity; however, he didn't once mention that I could do anything to redress this afterwards. 

I'm not even bothered about the dent but I am definitely wonky. Not sure I'll even want to do anything about it but I kind of feel like I would have liked to have been given an option? :/

Best of luck with your surgery :) xx