My Son's Medulloblastoma Tumour

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 23 replies
  • 45 subscribers

Hi everyone

About 2 weeks ago, we were given the news that our 9 year old son had a tumour measuring about 2cm across situated in his cerebellum.  Our lives were shattered.

He was rushed in for surgery to have the tumour removed and the surgeon confirmed that all of the lump had been successfully removed.

His recovery has been going well, although his left side is clumsier and needs physio.  He also has a little double vision.

Results from the biopsy have been fed to us bit by bit.  It's a medulloblastoma tumour.  The first grading "opinion" has come back as grade four.  We are now awaiting the second grading opinion, which is apparently the normal sequence of events.

The thing that's sca ring the living daylights out of me is something the oncologist said.  He mentioned that the higher intensity of the treatment required to deal with these high grade tumours will have a big impact on my boy's ability to pull through this.

I just can't believe it.  My wife and I are beside ourselves.  One minute, he's a healthy little boy and now he's struck with this.

Desperately looking for support and reassurance,

Huw.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

The way it's been put to us seems to suggest that "all high-dose chemo must have stem cell replacement".

So it's got my obsessive mind thinking that the people I talk to who haven't had the stem cell replacement, haven't actually had the high-dose chemo.  But that may be me going nuts I suppose.

What do you think?

• FormerMember

Apparently it's to protect the bone marrow, if he needs high- dose chemo. It all depends on what they think the patient needs. I had higher dose radiotherapy than he is going to have, but that's what they thought my case needed. If they haven't seen the histology yet, they wouldn't be zeroing in on his unique tumour situation yet. I would imagine it's the requirement of the treatment protocol they plan to use rather than anything specific to him. I don't think they gave me high dose chemo, Just high dose radio.

• FormerMember

limasierra, you've been an awesome source of information, help and comfort. 

Thanks for taking the time to reply to my questions.

Best wishes

Huw.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Huw,

As a fellow father of a child with a brain tumour, my heart goes out to you.

I remember that feeling of devastation well. Be strong my friend. There's much hope and plenty of love out there.

My daughter has a lower grade tumour. But if you want to get some idea of what may lie ahead, I've written a book based on our story. It's available here: https://glowkeeper.gitbooks.io/my-abi/content/. I hope it helps, somewhat.

I wish you all the love in the world. I'm here if you need to talk....

Steve x

• FormerMember

Thank YOU. My heart goes out to you.

Big hug,

Lima

• FormerMember

Hi Steve

Thanks for your reply, I really appreciate it.

Empathy from someone who''s been through this awful process helps me a lot.  I'm not an emotionally strong person, and, like you, my children are my life.

I'll definitely check out your book.

Thanks once again, my friend.

Huw.

• FormerMember

My son has medulloblastoma, diagnosed Nov 2016, he's 13 and the treatment plan you have described is almost identical to ours except he is only having four rounds of high dose chemo lasting around four months. My son is just coming to the end of his 6 weeks of radiotherapy and is doing well. A little bit of nausea and hair loss but that's all so far. If you are on fb there is a group for parents of kids with medulloblastoma. It is good to hear the success stories. Equally though it goes without saying there are some not so great posts but it is good to be part of a little community that will understand you better than anybody else. Good luck with your sons journey 

Natalie 

• FormerMember

Hi Huw,

I didn't think I was particularly strong either, but I have managed, somehow! Indeed, I believe we all have a capacity to dig deep and find strength from somewhere.

Steve x

• FormerMember

m.facebook.com/story.php

I hope this link works. I shared it with my friends and family to help them understand a little how I was feeling. I was getting sick of people telling me how strong i was when i dont feel strong at all. I feel trapped in a nightmare that i cant escape from. What is strong is the love for your child.

Natalie x

• FormerMember

Unknown said:

I'd like to read that. Unfortunately, I'm not on Facebook :(

Unknown said:

I feel trapped in a nightmare

I know that feeling. My heart goes out to you.... 

Unknown said:

What is strong is the love for your child.

I like that Natalie - I think you just named the source of my 'strength'. Thank you!

Steve x