TPE surgery

• 20 replies
  • 162 subscribers

Hello, my husband was diagnosed with rectal cancer two weeks ago. He is having his pre-op tomorrow for tpe. I’m finding it difficult to process and am extremely worried about the operation and how life will be post op for him, and us. 

• Just try to take things a day at a time and not look too far ahead would be my advice. If your husband is able to do a little walking that can be good to get some fresh air and move a bit. Helps both mentally and physically to build up a bit before surgery, although I know it might not be easy. 

Any major surgery is frightening, but they will look after your husband very well, and the worst thing for you is all the waiting around on the day. I was focused on getting on with the surgery, and didn’t necessarily want to know every detail but your husband may feel differently. My main surgeon was good at not overloading me with information and appreciated that I just wanted to know the minimum. For me that was easier to cope with. You will find your own way, but it takes time to come terms what will happen and how life will change. 

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Hi  

I am so sorry to hear you had a stroke and hope it’s effects are subsiding for you .

Sending much love and strength .

Court 

ps . But I know you will be giving it 100 % in any recovery . 

Community Champion Badge

Helpline Number 0808 808 0000

• Thanks  

I’m coming on in leaps and bounds from where I started thankfully. I’m struggling a bit with numbers but that will come back in time I hope. I also have to read messages over and over to make sure I don’t miss out words but I’m so much better from not even being able to say my name and address in the ambulance.

Definitely determined to recover-I have a holiday I need to go on in a couple of months and a grandbaby being born in the summer to look forward to!

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

• Hi Sarah, 

he has been going for walks as he was told to up his exercise. He came back from a walk with friends and was too tired to process a telephone call from the hospital advising him that he needs an iron infusion. Exercise will resume after he has had that. 
    Thank you for your advice. 

• Well done  . Pushing forward as ever . What an inspiration.

Early days in stroke recovery , but already sounds as though your making great progress .

Long may it continue.

Court 

Community Champion Badge

• Gosh he did well  to even be out for a walk if he needs an infusion .

Hope it helps him .

Court 

Community Champion Badge

• I hope so too. Explains the exhaustion when he has been a very active man until December 2023. 

• Hi  

Needing an infusion will make your husband very tired, but he will hopefully see a benefit once it’s done. He’s really doing well to get out for walks-I found that very difficult prior to surgery. He’s doing well! 

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

• Thanks  I’m not a quitter! It’s just another challenge which I’ll deal with along with the help I’ve been given so far. The nhs was simply amazing, and I had a very different experience last year where I had an awful time. This time was completely different and just wonderful-my faith was restored!

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

• Hi Sarah, 

Infusion done and operation scheduled for the 30th April. Scared and afraid and sad. Xx