Colorectal cancer

• 13 replies
  • 161 subscribers

Hello, my journey started in May 2017. Diagnosed with T1N0M0. Told I’ll glide through this. Had a port in. Then 1 month of radiation with a week of chemo to start and a week of chemo at the end of radiation. I was free of cancer for 2 years. Follow up scans showed it had returned to the same place. I changed oncologist as I had lost confidence. The new lady saw my scans and immediately said I should have a stoma, as the cancer was so low down. I asked could I have more chemo, which she gave me, but I know she wanted me to have the operation. I got the 6 rounds of folfox, then scans. Cancer free, hurrah, then scans 6 months later showed the cancer returned to the same place again. Then off to meet the colorectal surgeon. I met the most kind understanding  gentleman. He explained the procedure, said I had no choice, and sadly I was mislead on the first analysis. Had my operation in April last, using robotics, hospital stay was 4 days. My oncologist and surgeon said I needed mop up chemo, to kill those stray cells. Approaching the halfway mark with my chemo. I’ve accepted the stoma well. I thank the surgeon and oncologist for the positive attitude  they gave me. Just hope  after this mop up chemo I can return to living again. 

• I forgot to add, the surgeon suggested I take the old fashioned way instead of keyhole. He did the big surgery then afterwards he told me keyhole would have worked. Needles to say I changed hospitals and teams. I feel a lot more confident 

• It is hard when your trust in them has been knocked but it is all sounding as though there is good reason to optimistic.

Good idea to change your team and gain your confidence in them . It makes all the difference when you know they are working with the dedication you require .

Take care ,

Court 

Community Champion Badge

Helpline Number 0808 808 0000

• Thank you Court,  I’m happy to change. It’s surprises me how slow we are to change. Having that built in fear of  not to upset others.