Managing a spread to the liver !

• 30 replies
  • 104 subscribers

Thought this might give people some insight into peoples stories .

I will add mum’s later but there has been a lot of people starting out lately and might be a good resource for others going forward .

Take care ,

Court 

• Thanks for replying that’s really useful just glad to be getting some treatment at last it seemed to take forever 

• Hello!  Yes I was absolutely fine with the first surgery (9 hrs) of bowel and liver tumour removal.  I had no drains/temp soma etc and I had the 6 mnth belts and braces chemo.  But when the tumour returned to the liver 9 mnths later they gave me IV chemo (4 rounds) to shrink it pre/surgery and only afterwards when I was recovering did my cardiologist tell me (and confirmed by my oncologist) the chemo was known to compromise heart capilleries.  This is not of course always the case but from experience the NHS operate on a need to know basis so I would definately make them explain the risks.  All the best

• It is terrifying, but try to stay positive, you will both feel so much better after the first one and the fight can begin.  The nurses are brilliant and will look after him, it will soon become routine and much less scary.   The best advice I was given right at the beginning was to get fit and healthy which will aid recovery after each cycle, even a walk is good.  Make sure he drinks plenty of fluids, dehydration can happen easily, not cold drinks as it can affect the throat, room temp squash/water is fine.  Any questions, please ask.  

• Thanks again I will keep in touch 

• Got some brilliant news this morning. 
    After 4 rounds of Capox and 3 scans MRI , CT and PET and an MDT meeting, we have recieved a letter to see a surgeon in Leeds Relaxed

Nervous but all part of the Journey. 

This forum has been a godsend these hellish few months so il be paying the positivity forward. 

Hope everyone is doing as well as possible

C

• Did you have a line fitted wondering how you found it is it painful being in your arm the whole time 

• Excellent news  x

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm
  • Hi  Hope you don’t mind me replying? A picc line isn’t painful to be honest and so much easier than having them searching for a vein to put a cannula in. I found the oxaliplatin made my arm very sore so the picc line was a godsend. It’s well taped up by the nurses and I also used to wear a piece of stretchy bandage over it. You can’t excessively swing your arm about eg. playing golf or tennis and you can’t get it wet. You should be given a prescription for a limbo arm cover which is a plastic sleeve with a rubber seal at each end which you can pull over the picc line to shower. The nurses will flush it every 7-10 days and will check it’s ok.

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm
  • Sorry I missed this but delighted for you  and your dad .

It’s a good news story . 

Helpline Number 0808 808 0000

• Thankyou it’s all a bit scary at the moment but we need to get on with it