Recent diagnosis for husband

• 71 replies
  • 107 subscribers

I am completely blindsided by this. Husband (56) got diagnosed in Thursday following a preventative test that he got due to his age. No symptoms whatsoever and he almost didn’t do the test. Completely blindisided by result. I think we were too shocked to ask any questions when we were told. We’ve got two young girls (14 and 11) who we’ve not told yet. A sample was taken for biopsy and he has been told he will get a CT and MRI shortly. Do we ge the biopsy results before this to tell us staging? Do we need to wait for the biopsy CT and MrI before the MDT will discuss and recommend treatment? Is there any advantage of going private (I’m not slating NHS - their cancer care is wonderful- I’m just wondering whether we can accelerate the results / wait for tests). All my girls are talking about is our summer holiday in 4 weeks time. I’m assuming this won’t be possible. I’m genuinely devastated. My husband is the fittest and healthiest he has been for years. I’m just can’t believe it. I’m sorry I’m rambling. My heads a mess. Xxx

• Afternoon,  the other Mike here.  See if they'll let him go in on the day of the op.  I went in just before 7.00am, op was around 9.30, it saves the NHS money and you the discomfort of an avoidable night in hospital.  Do you have any idea when the surgery will take place?

YNWA ( statement result needed in Ipswich)

Mike

• Thanks Original Mike! We’ve been told to be in at 7 so no need to stay over the night before. Surgery will likely be 10 or 17 September so after youngest daughter has had first day at new school thankfully. 

ps another season where I am expecting spurs to disappoint and frustrate! 

• ps another season where I am expecting spurs to disappoint and frustrate in equal measure! 

• So just had a call from the hospital. Surgery 27 August. So while I am really pleased it has come forward I am desperately upset that husband will miss the last week of the school holidays ( he had taken the week off to spend time with the kids) and daughters first day at secondary school. I’m also now really starting to worry about the procedure. 7 hours. Consultant went over risk factors, mortality rates, etc etc and typically that’s all I am able to think about. MUST NOT GOOGLE! also to all your partners - how on earth do you keep yourself occupied during surgery for the full day? I k ow this is good news having rid of it sooner but I’m feeling super anxious now. 

• Well it probably says something but my wife went with our daughter to see the Star Wars reboot.  She decided to go to a film that took little concentration & the cinema environment meant she couldn't keep looking at her phone.  They have to give you the figures for things going wrong, remember doing nothing tends to result death.  I guess he's having a resection,  the times they quote include going for pre-meds etc and time waiting to come round, not 'on the table' time; it's sometimes useful having a wife who's actually done surgery.

Really pleased for your husband that's it has been moved.

YNWA (Come on FSG get the cheque book out)

MIKE

• Should have said cancel the time off, he'll spend enough time off work post-op

YNWA

Mike

• My robotic re-section surgery took almost 6hrs. A big part of that is pre-work to set up the robot etc and they use different anaesthetics as they need to keep you very still. If it’s traditional surgery my understanding is that is much shorter.

Either way they will have him out of bed the following day - I was actually able to walk up and down the ward with no issues. They are really wanting you to pass wind as this is an excellent sign that things have gone well. They will then introduce some small portions of high fibre food and will be looking for your husband to take a poo - which they will check on.

I had all my lines removed after day three and went home on day four.

Best wishes.

Mike.

• The other Mike, here. 

Just over a week now, get a few things in place.  Firstly something to wear, I had no pyjamas,  so went to Matalan to buy the cheapest pj shorts they'd got, buy a size bigger than usual, shorts are much easier to deal with catheters etc.  My son, who has a similar SOH to me got me a Ramones t-shirt emblazoned with, 'I wanna be sedated' the anaesthetist coveted it.  Despite surgery being in January the Royal was at 'super sauna' level, I have never been so hot in my life; so prepare for hot & cold.  Your husband is not going to be interested in food, good job at the Royal.  My first 'low residue ' meal was split-pea soup & an omelette with sweetcorn!

Drinks are something else.  The gran of one of my son's partner had had the same surgery the previous year and knew this.  She arrived the day after surgery with some tetrapacks of a lemon drink frozen solid, brilliant as they defrosted.   I'm a coffee fan, I loathe tea, but couldn't identify what the Royal gave me as coffee; I'm not moaning,  I was there for life-saving surgery not a gastronomic experience.   She arrived on the Friday with a 'Nero to go' - absolutely wonderful.  I also took a 'tablet' with me but never used it, the same with a book; my degree is in English and I'm an avid reader.

Anaesthetists are wonderful people.

YNWA (Nice start Arne, nice start.)

Mike 

• My husband was diagnosed in May. The only experience we had previously of bowel cancer was his dad who sadly passed 3 months after being diagnosed. We since found out that he refused a colonoscopy and ignored his symptoms for a very long time. My husband age 49 was having symptoms for over a year before he told me and still wouldn’t make an appointment so I did it for him and thank god I did.

he was diagnosed at stage 3 locally advanced with a 5cm tumour. From diagnosis to surgery was 16 days. Probably due to me hounding the colorectal team daily with lots of questions.

hes now 10 weeks post op. He did have an infection in his wound which took 7 weeks to heal which was draining. The surgery took 6 hours. He didn’t need a stoma and is doing really well. The surgery is a big one and he’ll need to rest up afterwards. 

we have a 13 year old and made the decision to tell him, I don’t think we could’ve hidden it to be honest. He has been brilliant and I let the school know what was going on and he was given a pastoral mentor which really helped as he couldn’t speak to me or his dad about things.

hes under the CR team now for 5 years and hopefully all has gone well.

i wish you and your family the very best x

• I’m year two in the 5yr surveillance programme. It’s comforting to know that every six months they are doing serious checks to ensure everything is ok. My surgeon told me that if the cancer were to return it normally happens within in the first 18 months. 
    I’ve not taken anything for granted but two years on I’m doing really well and am very fit. 
    Best wishes in your journey.