Newly diagnosed rectal S4 with liver mets

• 16 replies
  • 91 subscribers

In total shock, from having a vague intermittent pain in lower left abdomen in December, a few instances of constipation and a couple of poos that looked a but stringy to being diagnosed as stage 4 rectal cancer which has already moved to liver. Now waiting for oncology appointment as they want to deal with the liver first if they can shrink the tumours. I don't actually know how many I have ir how big they are. My main issue is anxiety pain across my diaphragm and under my rib cage although I guess that could also be liver pain, been told to take regular doses of paracetamol.  At 59, fit healthy and working to now feeling very down, frightened and tired in a mater of 8 weeks. Trying to stay positive but the pain is making it very hard. Any help and advice appreciated  

• Hi  
    My understanding is other things can cause liver enzymes to rise .

My mum had a considerable spread to the liver and hers were still normal . 

Take care ,

Court 

Community Champion Badge

Helpline Number 0808 808 0000

• Hello Sandie and so sorry for all of this. I was the same basically no symptoms I can really tell- slimmer poop now that I think about it- sometimes not often- mine was caught on a routine scan for something else and goodness knows where I'd be if I had not had that scan and my amazing team who followed everything up immediately. There is so much they can do now to shrink things and operate later. I am on chemo myself to shrink my liver mets. I think it is all such a shock that it is no wonder at all you have felt more tired recently, I find it's a balance between getting out for walks and doing what I want and listening to the body to rest- but a mixture of both is good. You will feel so much better for seeing Oncology; it helps so much to have a plan. Keep us posted and sending you hugs 

• Hello my symptoms were very like yours..I could have easily ignored them but a voice in my head told me not to.Jan 16th I had a colonoscopy and was told immediately I had cancer.Its been a whirlwind of Operations,  tests , chemo as I have stage 3 spread to lymth nodes but not other organs .My heart goes out to you, it's so scary .I was very fit too  I'm.58 .We are here for you and my only advice is take every day at a time,  rest  ,do things that make you happy and don't be afraid to advocate for yourself .

• Thank you it's so good to hear how others are dealing with a similar diagnosis. Hope all continues to work well for you.  Sandie x

• Thank you so much for your reply and the good advice, I'm trying to stay active, reading, listening to music and a little bit of working, keeping my mind active definitely helps.  Take care, Sandie

• Thank you for the positive post, I think I am very much on a similar path (hopefully) and I'm prepared for a rough ride and hope that I achieve a positive outcome. Hope you continue to get good results. Sandie x