Chemo advice-capecitabine without oxaliplatin

• 14 replies
  • 91 subscribers

Newly diagnosed and have had bowel resection for stage 3b colon cancer. I've recovered well and have been told out of 33 lymph nodes cancer in one and some signs in blood vessels that were removed but no secondaries'.I met with oncologist to plan chemo and she has told me chemo-capox offered will only help 15% of people with my cancer so its up o me entirely if I decide to go ahead .She was very neutral and  I felt disarmed that the percentages were so low.I dont know if I should even bother going ahead as im terrified of chemo and especially oxaliplatin.Percentage of capecitabine alone 10% and was thinking although the side effects are also potentially dreadful at least I will be spared sitting in hospital for hours and potentially nerve damage.I have no idea how t make the choice and so any advice is welcomed. Im fit or was , female 57  

• This sounds so much like my recent experience, I had colon cancer 12 months ago where I had curative surgery to remove the tumour and a temporary ileostomy.  All markers clear with no spread, no chemotherapy offered.  I had my 12 month surveillance CT at the beginning of March and was put on an urgent 2 week referral to the colorectal team as they have found a new suspicious looking 7mm nodule in my lung which they they think is suspicious.  Sabr treatment was mentioned at the meeting and the fact someone would be in touch shortly.  This was on the 26th March and my mind has been working overtime since and I can't stop googling and making myself worry.

• Hi Anniemac

Sorry to hear this; yes, I well remember my reaction to this news at the time - which was also in March, a year later.

However, if Sabr treatment has been mentioned - you are fortunate. (I know you don't think so right now!) This is just another name for Radio Frequency Ablation technique, that I had, back in Oct. '20.

If you haven't had so already, I would think that you will have a PET scan first - which will give a far more in depth view of the area involved, & usually ascertain whether or not it is cancerous. You may also (like me,) be offered chemo for a while - in the hope of shrinkage first, prior to ablation. (I had two small nodules in the right lobe.)

As regards to the Ablation procedure - it's relatively simple, & non invasive. Mine was an overnight stay in hospital. I believe you could opt for sedatives to undergo it. However, I chose GA - as you have to lie perfectly still - under a CT scanner, while they put long needles into the area, which blasts away the nodules. I woke from the anaesthetic, with just two tiny plasters on the entry points - which were clean, when I removed them.

I went home the next morning just feeling tired from the effects of GA for a few days, but otherwise, was able to resume life as normal.

If you have any more questions, don't hesitate to ask, & I wish you the very best....

Marianne x

• Thank you so much for a lovely positive reply.  I haven't had a PET scan yet, hopefully that will be offered soon.  Yes sabr treatment is at a hospital about an hour from me, what I have read about it seems very positive.  It's just this horrible waiting time in between!  I was hoping my meeting was about the reversal of my ileotostomy so unfortunately went alone and it came as a shock!  I have two young girls 11 and 15 which I am trying to stay strong and positive for, but it is so hard.

• Hi I'm currently undergoing Chemotherapy Capacitibine tablets   I'm on my 3rd round,  my tumour was removed without spread and all lymph nodes clear so I was very lucky but they found traces of cancer in my blood cells hence the Chemo, I was always told its my choice I could always decline but I have two young children and I'm 49 so I decided to throw everything at it to give me the nest chance of a longer life.

I'm currently shattered but I'm still working 4 days a week  no sickness as yet , I do have sore feet which is being monitored,  I have the DPD gene which makes my body struggle to break down the Chrmo so I think that's a small worry, I'm on a low dose as yet bit they hope to increase on round 4 all being well.

Good luck in your journey 

1. Sarah Blush