In shock

• 147 replies
  • 97 subscribers

My wife had a colonoscopy today and they sat us down together, which immediately rang alarm bells for me.

The said they couldn't get very far into the bowel because there is a mass/blockage (can't remember what word they used) which they say looked cancerous, it sounds like it's nearer the rectum than deep in the bowel. 

I think at this point the shock kicked in, the doctor said they're going to get an MRI and CT done,  they've taken a biopsy.

She seemed pretty confident it's cancer, I'm working on the basis that they have seen it plenty of times. 

As you can imagine we are reeling, I am very information driven so the waiting for tests and then treatment is already painful, I guess we don't know what to expect and it's hard to keep the panic in check,  I'm hoping we can learn from you all in here...

• Thank you, I woke up with a bit more fight in me today, I still feel close to cracking but I'm trying to trust the process and hope.

My wife's is also near the rectum we're told, they couldn't do a full colonoscopy as that blocked it, I don't know what to think about that, they're doing MRI and CT scans, then we speak to a surgeon on a couple of weeks

Really glad to hear you're on the mend hopefully given time and treatment we can get some positive progress...

•    Size is not an indicator of severity - the scans will give the consultant an accurate picture so a treatment plan can be put in place. Rectal cancer is usually treated with chemoradiotherapy to shrink the tumour before surgery. If there is a danger of the tumour blocking the bowel then a stoma may be made but the consultant will discuss all this with you x

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm
  • Thank you, apologies for the stupid questions but is rectal cancer different than bowel cancer?

• Hi  Not really - the large bowel is made up of the colon and rectum so if the tumour is in the rectum then I suppose it is officially rectal cancer but most people just generalise it as bowel?

The treatment tends to be a bit different as the surgeon has to remove the tumour and some of the bowel either side and then rejoin the 2 ends. The smaller the tumour the better as it leaves more bowel to be able to rejoin hence the chemoradiotherapy to shrink the tumour as much as possible before surgery. A temporary stoma is sometimes used to allow the join time to heal. If the tumour is very low in the rectum and there isn’t enough bowel to rejoin then the stoma may be permanent. 

Keep asking and I will be honest with you. Some people (my husband for example) are happy to wait for their meeting and get the information on a need to know basis but I liked to be prepared so I more or else knew what to expect before my meeting 

Take care

Karen x

• Thanks   do you mind me asking what stage you were at diagnosis?

Also, what happens in terms of ongoing monitoring?

• Hi  I was stage 3 when diagnosed and they suspected there were 2 or 3 lymph nodes affected - the scans confirmed no spread to other organs. The ‘official’ staging comes after surgery when the tumour and surrounding area is sent off to the path lab for analysis - the outcome of this will also determine if any further treatment like chemo is needed. I had 17 lymph nodes removed and 2 had cancer cells in so had follow up chemo. 

I was monitored for 5 years but the NICE guidelines advise that 3 years is sufficient - it may depend on each health area? You can see what scans and bloods etc. I had on my profile but I think it was 6 monthly bloods and yearly scans with a colonoscopy on the 5 year mark. 
    I remember my oncologist saying that most recurrences happen within the 2 year mark and by 3 years you’re pretty much ‘home and dry’. 

• Hello Governor,

Not a stupid question, although I believe they are much the same in the sense that the growth is in the lower end of the digestive system. The rectum is a section which is particularly identified anatomically. My rectal 'lesion' (a confusing term in my opinion) was 13cm long. A five week course of chemoradiotherapy (not unlike a CT scan) reduced the size of it to enable surgery to be more effective. The surgery was fully effective, although I have two stomas (one active and one passive) as a consequence. These are straightforward to manage once a routine is established. During radiotherapy one of the radiographers suggested that - of the bowel cancers - rectal cancer can be accurately targeted because it is in a fixed location.

• I'm sure everyone says this, but the waiting is horrible, I'm finding it really hard to not think about the worst outcomes, 

• I am in a similar position to your wife but having to deal with it alone   i am going to see a Consultant this Wed after they have discussed me at an MDT meeting tomorrow.  They will then tell me what is the best course of action.  I have already had Breast Cancer so been here before but it doesnt get easier! 

• Hi  and a warm welcome to the board although I’m sorry to hear that you’re having to deal with cancer for a second time. It’s a worrying time waiting for all the scan results but once you have a treatment plan in place then things will hopefully feel a bit better.

Bowel cancer is slow growing and very treatable - the next few months will be tough and hopefully you’ll be able to draw on the strength that got you through your breast cancer.

Everyone on here is at various stages of treatment and recovery and we’ll be happy to help and support you through yours

Take care

Karen x