Immunotherapy

• 19 replies
  • 85 subscribers

May I ask if first line treatment has failed can we push for immunotherapy next? I also read that there's a combi immuno drug to be available in 2/3 months,  is there a way to get approval to access it?

• Thank you @court,  

We found out my husband has mets in his liver, his next treatment will be Nivolumab as a single agent. His treatment is no longer curative but palliative,  praying so hard for this treatment to work. He's had blood tests today, since he has a history of anaemia they want to give him a shot of iron transfusion before treatment to prepare him. 

Thank you both again for your help. Xxx

• Hi  

I am sorry to hear that your husband has mets in his liver. But I am very happy that he has been offered Nivolumab. I also was told it's palliative treatment but the way I look at it, the treatment I have for diabetes is also palliative.

As I mentioned earlier we were very scared at Christmas but as the treatment has progressed and we have calmed, we have found life has almost returned to normal. Cancer is not continually on our minds and we are able to look to the future. Returning to work has helped greatly.

I know that I will probably always be classed as incurable, but incurable doesn't mean I am not going to be around for a long time., s mum is testimony to this and her story has kept me going during some bleak moments. A few years ago the option for immunotherapy was not around and things are progressing all the time. There will be more breakthoughs with new treatments. I am holding out for being in the percentage of people that it works completely for, and hopefully your husband will be the same. 

Take care and I am happy for you both that this treatment is available for him, I hope he has minimal side effects and a good response.

Remember to look after yourself too and please keep in touch.

Lots of love and a big hug.

Phoebeb21
  • Hi  thank you for your kind words and taking the time to reply. Your words brought great comfort,  and yes I think Court's mum story is amazing,  she is such an inspiration  and her journey brings us so much hope. 

I've read that your on fortnightly infusions, the oncologist had offered monthly for my husband,  do you know if this works in the same way? Xxx

• Hi 

Always a difficult day to hear the disease has moved to an organ however I think  covered it beautifully. Immunotherapy should hopefully be more appropriate to his needs and pull that disease back in control . Great to get access to it and his team is supportive of it too! It’s great to see this development and the timing could not be more appropriate. I hope it’s a door that stays open for people .

You will need a rest after today .

Take care ,

Court 

Community Champion Badge

Helpline Number 0808 808 0000

• Hi, 

Yes it works in the same way. You are just given a more intense dose of the treatment. It takes the same amount of time, just half an hour but I would allow at least an hour at the hospital as sometimes it takes a while inserting the cannula. I will be changing to monthly infusions after I resume the treatment on 22nd which will be so much easier with taking time off work, although they are very good. 
    The reason I have had fortnightly sessions is because I didn’t tolerate chemotherapy very well at all and they wanted to make sure I was ok with this before I was given the higher dosage.
    Try and have a relaxing evening, hopefully you will both feel better now a plan is in place.

lots of love xxx

Phoebeb21
  • Thanks  for explaining this for me. Did you have many side effects from this treatment? 

We're just anxiously waiting for the treatment to come sooner,  just need to move forward.

Xxx

• Hi  

Sorry, haven’t been on for a few hours. I think I have been very lucky with the side effects really. 
    I feel a little tired, but that’s manageable. When I first started the treatment my liver ALT was raised slightly, only to 60 though and it sorted on its own.

I have been type2 diabetic for many years, and this has escalated quite significantly and I am now insulin dependent, this is quite a common side effect and again quite manageable.

I also have a very dry mouth, this could be due to the diabetes. 

My thyroid function is slightly out of sync too ( Not sure if too high or low, I was only told this in hospital ) this is just being monitored. All of these effects are very minor to me compared to the way chemo made me feel and to be honest, I would rather have these than the constant nausea 

All of these also add to the tiredness, especially the raised blood glucose but I am hoping when the new medication starts to work this will ease. 

Hope you hear soon, and  your husband can start the treatment.

Lots of love xxx

Phoebeb21
  • Hi @phoebeb21 thank you so much for your detailed reply. I'm.sorry to hear how its affected your diabetes,  but glad that it can be managed and you are coping.

My husband has a blood test and iron transfusion and covid test on Monday,  then if all goes well treatment should start on Thursday.  Fingers crossed So grateful for the team who look after him. 

Do you take any supplements/vitamins alongside the treatment? 

Take care xxx

• Hi, 

I don’t take any vitamins or supplements but I never have.  I did ask my consultant if there was anything I could take to help my liver function or my immune system but he said no not really, just to eat a good diet and if possible try and get a walk in the fresh air. 
    Both of these have taken a battering lately since my bowel obstruction but hope to get back on track soon. 
     Fabulous to hear treatment is starting quickly.

xxx

Phoebeb21