Recovery

• 22 replies
  • 84 subscribers

My wife finished chemo christmas week after 4 months.

She felt quite good after it.

Since then she has gone downhill.

She has no energy and gets very tired.She had a blood transfusion 10 days ago.

Today we went for a drive and called into the supermarket and after 10 minutes she was exhausted.

Its really getting her down and upsetting her.

The oncologist knows all this but where should we go from here.Will she get her energy back again?

• Thankyou Court.

I will let you know the outcome.

• Devastating news today.

My wife has been great yesterday and today so when we went to see the oncologist this morning we were shocked.

The MDT team had a meeting a few days ago to see if removing the bowel tumour was an option but the surgeon said he couldnt see any benefits from operating.

The oncologist said she didnt think in her opinion that having any more chemo would be beneficial and could make my wife feel worse.

She said the cancer has speeded up considerably since december time.

She told us to enjoy my wifes good days when we can.

She also said its a good idea for me and my wife to discuss care at home,hospital or hospice when the time comes.we didnt ask for any dates but it doesnt sound good.

Wouldnt mind but my wife walked up tons of steps in the hospital then we went to the Asda and she was fine.

How on earth do you get through this.

• Oh I am so sorry to hear that . That is such difficult news to hear and my thoughts are with you. 

Do you think a second opinion would be of some benefit? It’s difficult to tell from the internet but if you feel there is any doubt you might feel it’s beneficial to hear another clinical view point .

We also have our helpline staff 0808 808 0000 who are very much there for you to chat this through with if you feel that would help .

If you feel there is a need for a second opinion your Gp could assist with that .

Sending both you and your wife all my love on a very difficult day . 

Take care ,

Court 

Community Champion Badge

Helpline Number 0808 808 0000

• Hi Court.

I just dont know what to do regarding second opinion.

I think the MDT would have had the input and i suppose there would be 3 or 4 of them giving their views.

• I totally understand. And striking the balance is important too for her emotional well-being. 

If you are ever unsure a quite word with her GP might help answer any questions .

We are very much here for you too . Such a difficult day although she sounded as though her tolerance to exercise has improved slightly .

Take care ,

Court 

Community Champion Badge

• She is a strong lady and very positive.

Its just the unknown now.

I just cant stop thinking about the meeting today.

How do you get it out of your mind?

Sorry to be moaning.

• Oh please , no apology required . It’s exactly why I come on here and certainly not moaning .

It is so hard to hear such hard conversations.  Your wife sound really lovely . It really does swirl round your head with such intensity but hopefully it will lessen . If not remember your GP is also there for you . I actually got some help from mine in the very difficult period . It strengthened me so much , even just having the opportunity to chat it through with someone who understands. It really helped . I can still remember his kind words but I might just have been fortunate. 

Hope you get some sleep tonight . 
    Court 

Community Champion Badge

• She is a lovely,beautiful lady.

Everybody that meets her loves her.All the hospital team loved her to bits.

I have to try and think of today and not worry about the future but thats easier said than done.

The oncologist was very concerned about me and said i must look after myself.

Thankyou Court its great to speak to you x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to steveho

I have just been reading your blog. I am so so sorry to hear about your wife. My heart goes out to . My husband has stage 4 cancer in bowel and got his operation in December but is still so exhaustedHeartall the time and he got mri for him to be told they have found more cancer in the liver so now he is waiting on PET scan results to see how bad it is. It is very hard to watch your partner go throughHeartso much. Feel free to chat to me anytime just to have a good sounding off about anything. Take care Heart 

• Hi  and 

Thats such a lovely offer Wee Jenny and this is very much available for you on this site to try and assist you . We are always around and here to listen .

Send your wife a big hug from us .

Court 

Community Champion Badge