Stage 3 bowel cancer about to start chemo - worries

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 18 replies
  • 90 subscribers

Hi everyone am new to this so sorry if i get it wrong

ive recently been diagnosed with Stage 3 bowel cancer due to start Chemo in 2 weeks 

am having Oxaliplatin iv once every 3 weeks and 

Xelox/ capecitabine in a tablet form twice a day for 2 weeks. 
I know everyone’s different just wondered what kinda side effects people had had I know I need to be strong but I’m a total wuss 

thanks in advance

• Hi Lynn100 I had the same treatment has your husband and it is tiring going to hospital every day. He will get through it. My scans have shown I’ve had a very good response. Hope I get a bit more information when I speak to the doctor. It’s all the  waiting that is the worst. Got to say the staff at my hospital were lovely. Take care

• Hi Newbie Vix I don’t think anyone is a big a wuss then me. I did my 10 chemo tablets a day and radiotheraphy for 5 weeks. You will get through it. It’s all a scary shook. Take care and good luck

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Lynn100

Hello   a warm welcome to you. I am a bit new to this too so yeah I’m happy to share my experiences. Unfortunately everyone is different with what side effects they get so try stay positive I know it’s easier said than done. I’m having my pre assessment later today for next infusion tomorrow.  Most side effects have something u can take/do to help or ease them. Just try and take each day as it comes and then it’s 1 day nearer the end.  Which tablets is ur husband on ? 
    Stay strong Two heartsTwo hearts

take care

vix

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hope your side effects improve with time . I am in a smilar position to you - also stage 3 bowel cancer. I had surgery 3 weeks ago and I will be starting Xelox in the new year - probably 3rd week of January. I will keep you updated with my progress. Keep up the good fight. 

• Good morning, I was diagnosed with stage 3 colon cancer after my op in June 2019. 
    chemo is tough but doable......you will find inner reserve to deal with anything thrown at you.

I don’t deal with pain - I am a wuss, but I am proud to say I went through 8 sessions of xelox - oxaliplatin and capecitabine tabs.

my biggest problems were:

1. Periferal neuropathy- mainly in feet. I still have this today. Wear warm socks.

2. Severe reaction to the cold - touching anything metal or cold. I wore gloves to go into the fridge.

3. I had problems with feeling nauseous- by my forth chemo session - ask the nurses and they will help you and will try everything with you. I decided to start taking 20% CBD oil, which helped me a lot.

4. Severe reaction to cold after OXY IV - thorax restriction. This was eased by drinking warm fluids for at least the first week.

5. Tiredness - I slept whenever I needed to.

6. I had problems with drinking water - my tastes changed every day. I also hated the taste of tea/coffee and alcohol. My aim was to remain hydrated.

TIPS

1. Wrap up warm when you finish your OXY IV. Cover your mouth and wrap up warm before going out into the cold air.

2. DURING OXY IV - i had an arm warmer on all the time. I also had a blanket on my Arm. I kept the arm which had OXY IV , covered with a thin towel for first week as it tingled.

3. Eat whatever takes your fancy - try not to loose weight. Your appetite will return in week 3. 

4. Enjoy week 3 - when you start to feel normal.

It all starts  to become manageable when you are over 50% through your treatment - down hill from then on.

Be brave, if I can do this and survive - so can you.

Good luck

• Hi.  He was taking 

• Capecitabine (Xeloda) tablets with radiation every day.  He got through it and just as the side effects got really bad the treatment was over.  After two weeks he was back to how he was before the treatment started.  He has now gone back to work and we ofen forget has has rectal cancer as he feels so well and has a really good appetite.  It is now 8 weeks after treatment ended and we are waiting for a letter with a date for his scan to see if the treatment worked.  We were originally told the scan would be after 6-8 weeks, so I'm getling a little concerned they have forgotten him now.  He won't phone them to check. 
  • Hi  How are you getting on?  

Hi.  He was taking 

• Capecitabine (Xeloda) tablets with radiation every day.  He got through it and just as the side effects got really bad the treatment was over.  After two weeks he was back to how he was before the treatment started.  He has now gone back to work and we often forget has has rectal cancer as he feels so well and has a really good appetite.  It is now 8 weeks after treatment ended and we are waiting for a letter with a date for his scan to see if the treatment worked.  We were originally told the scan would be after 6-8 weeks, so I'm getling a little concerned they have forgotten him now.  He won't phone them to check. 
  • Oh wow so pleased you have been clear since you suffered all this . Gives us hope thanks for sharing x