3 days of radiotherapy left

• 13 replies
  • 37 subscribers

Hello everyone, my 2nd week of chemo finished yesterday and  I've done 25 days of radiotherapy, 3 days to go. Feeling quite tearful and am burnt, sore and blistered and wondering how I can get through these last 3 sessions. Ive been given lots of creams and medication. Think I'm just feeling sorry for self. 

• Oh Beatrix, just get through these three days and then you can get down to the business of healing after what is a fairly brutal treatment.  You are absolutely entitled to feel sorry for yourself, we all did.  And please don't be a hero, take the pain killers with one stipulation - take a stool softener (not a laxative) alongside such as Laxido.  Opioid drugs cause constipation and that is the last thing you need when everything is so sore.  It is such a relief when there are no more visits and you can concentrate on rest (lots of it) and healing.

And we are all here to help you through this period if you need it.  

Big hug

Irene xx

• If anyone is entitled to feel sorry for themselves, it's US when we're at this point in the treatment! I was supposed to have 5 weeks of radiation. When I met the oncologist the week before and he said he was tacking on 3 more days, I almost throttled him and melted down. Only 3 days, should have been gravy, but I was at my wit's end and 3 more days sounded like a life sentence.

I totally get you.

One of the best things I found to do was to go commando when possible. I laid towels down on the recliner and wore a sarong, so once I was settled I could unwrap and let t all wave in the breeze. Just being open to the air really helped.

You'll find your coping mechanisms too.

You're almost at the finish line, and you can just focus on letting your body rest and recover.

Hugs

Suz

• Thank you all so much for your support and reassurance. I've been laid on the bed with a fan pointed at my nether regions! My skin was checked today and was told to mix some Lidocain in with Drapolene so just tried that. Hoping for a decent nights sleep. 2 sessions left!! Xx