My sister is sick in Paris

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 32 replies
  • 12 subscribers

Hi, My sister was diagnosed with AML this past Monday and was meant to start Chemo today. It has been pushed back to at least tomorrow, because she has an infection in her arm due to the drip. We are all beside ourselves, especially given we can’t see her ( she is in a hospital in Paris) . She is all alone in her own room. I can’t stop thinking “what if she dies alone?” 
I need to know if the doctors would have waited another day with chemo, if she potentially only had a few days to live? I am in full panic mode, I am so scared. Any advice very welcome.

thankyou,

gesina 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Thehighlander

Thankyou Mike, your words are comforting, even with the warning of gruelling treatment. At the moment we are waiting for each text from her, and when there is a longer break we are petrified something horrible is happening. Thats the downside to not being able to be with her. And no doubt she will be exhausted and she said she’s snoozy which is hopefully a bit of oblivion for her.

did you have rapid weight gain when under treatment? 

Thanks,

nellz

• FormerMember

Is it normal for blood pressure, heart rate and temperature to go up during chemo? They put my sister on a heart monitor last night, as it all kept going up. I believe they also gave her drugs to bring it all down. Did this ever happen to you?

thanks, Nellz

• Hi Neilz, yes all normal, I had blood pressure reducing medication for about a week. 

Jackie

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Jackie A2

Thankyou Heart

• Hi Nellz, it would be great if things worked like clockwork and you got her check in but she will contact when she is in a position to do this.

Some of the drugs used will have an effect on her cognitive abilities at times so be patient and if there were problems her team would be in contact as I assume they have someone as the contact in the family.

Yes BP and Heart Rate do go all over the place but again her team will be on it. Do remember that her body is being pumped full of chemicals that in reality, the body will just not like at times but at the same time the body is very resilient ((hugs))

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• FormerMember

I know, that all makes  sense. I need to keep reminding myself of that. 
    today her doc said her white blood cell count was Going down, which is a good thing at this point, as the white cells where taking over when she was admitted. She had a good day and felt much better, they said her bloated body should start going down too.

just to say again how much I appreciate all your guys’ support, its one of the worst “bubbles” to live in.

Thanks Jackie also for mentioning the BP etc thing. 

• Hi, may I ask about the run up to your diagnosis , you say it was a shock but find you had AML did you  have no inclination?  

Also did they estimate how long you may have had it prior to diagnosis? 

Thanks Al

• FormerMember

You are totally right..... today was an example of this, she text us way later in the morning than usual and again we all thought the worst. The being apart makes this happen.

I think her body is starting to react to the chemo, she has has some severe diarrhea ( sorry!) and is still suffering with swollen limbs. This has now moved to the lower part of her body. 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to ajc0454

My sister had frequent infections and since spring severe and continous menstrual bleeding. She had all that checked out, no one suspected AML. Before being admitted , she had yet another infection ( infected tow) and flu like symptoms. Also her Lymph nodes started swelling a lot. She was sent home with Antibiotics, but having seen her toe and swollen neck, we pushed for her to go to the hospital.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Today my sister yet again has trouble breathing. She has to put her mask on between every bite to eat. They are waiting for a space in ICU. I am worried sick. I am back in panic mode :-(