Tips to cope with isolation

• 7 replies
  • 12 subscribers

Hi all,

I have been thinking....(which is dangerous in of itself!).

For those of us who have gone through an SCT, we are probably uniquely placed to help people who are having to go through a period of isolation for the first time. I wondered if we might be all able to share some tips that might help others through this period? It might also help new SCT patients too? Here are some starters for ten (please add to it with any other suggestions):

1. Eat as well as you can - your body needs a varied amounts of nutrients now more than ever

2. Exercise as much as you feel able - exercise is known to burn off excess stress and our bodies need to keep our muscles working as much as possible during what can be a more sedentary time - there are plenty of sit-down exercises and every little bit, however small, will help.

3. Sleep the right amount - not too little (our bodies need sleep to support the immune system), but not too much (we should try to remain as active as possible)

4. Maintain as much of a normal schedule as possible - get up at the same time, get appropriately dressed, eat at the same time, exercise at the same time - follow the same routine you would have done when not isolating.

5. Active distraction - start a new hobby, tackle that task you’ve been putting off, write your memoirs, whatever it may be, but something which occupies your mind actively (not passively like watching TV)

6. Stay in contact with other humans - use social media, write letters, make phone calls

7. Try mindfulness - give yourself a few minutes each day to focus on the moment - deep breathing, silence, relaxation, etc.

8. Have fun - watch your favourite movie, listen to your favourite music, make sure there is time in the day to do something you really enjoy

9. Limit your exposure to distressing things (eg, watching the news) - 10 minutes a day, or switch it off completely.

10. Get out into nature if you can - even open the windows to let the fresh air onto your face - allow yourself some time to think about nature and your place within it

Any other suggestions?

• Great ideas, Gregg. 
    for number 7, add anything at all that totally occupies and concentrates your mind away from all possible distractions, so art/music/yoga/whatever. Even the colouring in that became such a craze a year or two back..,, 

hugs xxx

Moomy

• If starting a jigsaw be careful on type you pick, while in hospital a got a where's Wally one. 

After nearly launching it through the window, I donated it to the hospital!!! I imagine one of those 1000 piece bakebeans would be exactly the same. 

On a positive note I found Wally.......

Brew. 

• Ha Ha , just yesterday we were taking down 20+ jigsaws from a cupboard so will slowly work through these over the next ? months and once we complete them we are going to donate somewhere.

We have a number of wasjigs where you make what someone sees but you have no picture.

Been playing my guitar more - very relaxing.

We have Culloden Forest behind our house so we can walk for a long time and not see a person. But someone did pass us who was smoking....... and that got us talking about the possibility that the virus could be transmitted in smoke Thinking

We are jumping in the car taking a picnic and heading out each day into the wilds........ but the Highlands is being invaded by lots of caravans and mobile homes escaping the city’s !!

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Nice one, our wilds are a bit flatter than yours, the nearest hill is the riverbank. Although it's flat it is quiet and still a beautiful part of the country with forests and pathways across fields. 

Having had the 'normal bloods' check and being past the magic day 100 I can start doing more. I've ventured into the garage managed to start welding a project I was on pre SCT, next week weather permitting the forge will get lit. So if you want anything let me know, last year made a nice sgian-dubh for a Burns night speaker.

• Oh I love that you made a “little knife” as my South of the boarders call it - well done.

I am a wood man having been trained as a wood machines/bespoke production joiner. When we go back to see my mum I totally frustrate my wife when we drive around the area as I keep saying “I made that.....” but it’s the sign I am growing older as some of the doors I made many years back have been replaced with UPVC Rage....... but the last time we were over to visit Balmoral Castle the replacement windows I made for HRH were still going strong.

I found getting back into my workshop very satisfying and very therapeutic. Over the next (isolation) weeks/months I will order in some material and replace the 30+ year old fences and when next door did theirs last year we cut down a lot of the overgrown vegetation - garden looks twice the size so I will build something exciting (as the granddaughters said) at the back.

Keep safe.

Mike (Thehighlander)

Community Champion Badge

• There is a good side to all this, moment turning a mower into a leaf suckerupper ready for autumn, had to turn the blades 90degs to create more draft. But that'll bore you all. 

What you thinking a castle? Replica of Athol castle perfect for a granddaughter. 

• I am still at the 90% planning stage..... a lot of people don’t understand the 90/10 rule Joy

Mike (Thehighlander)

Community Champion Badge