Life after a SCT - A Survivor's Guide

• 580 replies
  • 26 subscribers

Let's see if we can collect some helpful information and real life experience that we can signpost folks to after they have come home from their Stem Cell Transplant.

A couple of useful things I found were:

My Consultant told me that going through treatments like these was like doing a boxing match and a marathon every day over the months of treatments and this was done without any training.

Think doing the London Marathon without any training and you had to finish it as your life depended on it……. this is the journey you have been on so it most likely will take much longer than you would think to get back to some normality - it took me a good 2 years and I was 60 at the start of my recuperation.

Yes some folks bounce back quickly post treatment but more than often folks take a considerable amount of time to recover.  6 months is the average recovery time…… at 3 months post my second SCT I was just out of my wheelchair and able to do a few steps with my walking sticks…. I was not able to feed myself due to my bad Peripheral Neuropathy and even then I was not eating much……. Your body has been through far more then you imagine so be kind to yourself, give yourself a break as you are doing good and honestly this will pass.

My consultant also gave me this basic scale for classifying where I was on the recover journey.

50% = when in the hospital going through the transplant process.

60% = significant medical/physical issues that do not allow any physical activity apart from a shower and short walk and not able to prepaid food. Reliant of others for preparation of food.

70% = Significant medical/physical issues that do not allow any specific physical activity (not including a shower) but short walks and making a pot of soup. Will nap after the task.

80% = Physical issues that limits you to one activity per day. (not including shower) Able to prepare some food for a couple of people but most likely still taking a nap after activities.

90% = Some physical issues remaining (weak legs etc) but able to do a few tasks and may not be fully fit for permanent work but could do part time work. May have to .take a nap after doing tasks or work.

100% = No physical after effects and able to do multiple tasks including being back to work.

She also said on average the recovery is about 6 months with your recovery improving about 10% per month post SCT

A web page by the Anthony Nolan Trust - The First year post SCT (link)

A web document by Dr Peter Harvey - Life after Treatment (link)

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Thehighlander

Comedy on grandad! ! You can do it!  Good to hear you're doing well. Haven't heard from you for a while. 

• Hi Hope, yes, remiss of me but life is getting ore busy as the more I recover.

I do follow the amazing work you are doing as your journey has, lets say, taken a few detours from the original posts a while back.

I still have that Single Malt in the cupboard.

Keep well my friend.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Hi Yvonne, obviously your eating something if it's only small so that must be a bonus, the GP gave me those protein drinks as well as food but I don't like them. I'm eating more than I did in hospital but it's not going on the hips yet, my skin hangs like old cinema curtains. The weather is bad here today sleet, snow , rain and it's cold. I've been out with my grandaughter today we went to the gym I exercised my arms a bit, I only stayed 20 mins then we went shopping. I've just eaten the most enormous cream cake with hubby at home. 

I've just got a new appointment on Jan 29th to see the original consultant so I should get to know more hopefully how often I need to see her in the future. Those 41 days seem to have gone quickly and January seems to be disappearing quickly. Hope the appointment goes well.

• Hi good to hear your recovering well after your recent stay in hospital.

• Mmmmm, cream cakes.....my downfall! I can spirit over a few pounds of excess weight if anyone wants it? (I wish!) 

Hugs and cakes to you all xxx

Moomy

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Thehighlander

Hi Highlander 

So good to hear that your journey has moved to a more cobbled path from the rocky one. I know you're notout of the woods yet but at least there are more rays of light penetrating the canopy. Slightly descriptive text there. Do I see a new occupation on the horizon or is it just a mirage?lol. 

I had wondered if you remembered that you had offered me the Single Malt (as in your post I have capitalised those words as I also believe they merit them) because you are in contact with so many. 

I was so close to tasting it just after the new year. I'd persuaded my son who lives in Aberdeen to come to Northern Ireland for a visit. He comes by bus or train and then ferry so I said that if he came over, I'd go back with him and drive him to Aberdeen, we could chat and bond. I'd sort of received permission??? from my wife to drive so far and then of course come back alone  (she worries because of my health). I'd said I'd possibly head west in the direction of Inverness and travel down the coast to the port. 

BUT., we both know I could already sniff the sweet aroma of the Single Malt. 

So he arrived, intending to spend around 5 days with us. I hadn't contacted you to see if the offer was still available as I wasn't exactly sure when we were heading to Scotland. However, horror of horrors I remembered that I had booked VIP tickets to go with my wife to watch the World Seniors snooker event in Kildare near Dublin on 7th January  that involved Steve Davis playing in Ireland for probably the last ever time. The previous time he'd played was many years ago when he won the last of his eight Irish Masters titles, something that probably will never be equalled. 

Highlander, I'm afraid the snooker had to take precedence. Although I hadn't paid yet  (and it was quite expensive!), I had been in c

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Oops, sorry my phone rang and I pressed "post" in my haste to answer the call lol and it was a bloke looking for Nicola. I assured him my middle name was even Nicola, we chuckled and he's gone.

As I was saying, I had been in contact with Jason the organiser, as I did last year, and he had promised me front row tickets. So I'm afraid to say that the lure of front row seats watching Steve Davis, Dennis Taylor, Ronnie O'Sullivan and co won on this occasion. Keep the Single Malt in the cupboard my friend. Next time for sure :) Take care, and keep improving. 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Don't you hate it when you post a message after reading it to check it and you see a glaring error. Aaaaargh!!!

It should say that I assured him that my middle name WASN'T even Nicola.

Aaaaargh again and again........

• What annoys me even more is when you know you typed it correctly and after pressing 'post' your computer/ipad/iphone decides to change it! My equipment hates the shortened word 'allo' and frequently changes it! Grrrr! 

Wednesday hugs xxx

Moomy

• Hi Hope, yes the road is much less rough. I still have issues with Peripheral Neuropathy and cramp in my hands and legs. The more active I get the muscle and nerves in my neck are complaining as they are being worked and toned after the drama they had been put through a few years back.

The offer of the Single Malt will always be on the table Hope and I received a rather good 12 Year old -The Singleton of Dufftown at Christmas.

Drive from Northern Ireland to Aberdeen and back........ Brain Transplant rather than SCT ;)

You take care.

All the best for 2018 regardless of how the road turns out.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge