Life after a SCT - A Survivor's Guide

• 580 replies
  • 26 subscribers

Let's see if we can collect some helpful information and real life experience that we can signpost folks to after they have come home from their Stem Cell Transplant.

A couple of useful things I found were:

My Consultant told me that going through treatments like these was like doing a boxing match and a marathon every day over the months of treatments and this was done without any training.

Think doing the London Marathon without any training and you had to finish it as your life depended on it……. this is the journey you have been on so it most likely will take much longer than you would think to get back to some normality - it took me a good 2 years and I was 60 at the start of my recuperation.

Yes some folks bounce back quickly post treatment but more than often folks take a considerable amount of time to recover.  6 months is the average recovery time…… at 3 months post my second SCT I was just out of my wheelchair and able to do a few steps with my walking sticks…. I was not able to feed myself due to my bad Peripheral Neuropathy and even then I was not eating much……. Your body has been through far more then you imagine so be kind to yourself, give yourself a break as you are doing good and honestly this will pass.

My consultant also gave me this basic scale for classifying where I was on the recover journey.

50% = when in the hospital going through the transplant process.

60% = significant medical/physical issues that do not allow any physical activity apart from a shower and short walk and not able to prepaid food. Reliant of others for preparation of food.

70% = Significant medical/physical issues that do not allow any specific physical activity (not including a shower) but short walks and making a pot of soup. Will nap after the task.

80% = Physical issues that limits you to one activity per day. (not including shower) Able to prepare some food for a couple of people but most likely still taking a nap after activities.

90% = Some physical issues remaining (weak legs etc) but able to do a few tasks and may not be fully fit for permanent work but could do part time work. May have to .take a nap after doing tasks or work.

100% = No physical after effects and able to do multiple tasks including being back to work.

She also said on average the recovery is about 6 months with your recovery improving about 10% per month post SCT

A web page by the Anthony Nolan Trust - The First year post SCT (link)

A web document by Dr Peter Harvey - Life after Treatment (link)

• Hi Yvonne, only been out of hospital about ten days with flu myself. Got mine from my husband so didn't really stand a chance. We both had the flu jab as well. The hospital informed me I had flu before I knew it after taking a throat swab because I had a slight temperature. Know what you mean about wearing a mask , had a chap sitting next to me last week who was coughing all the time & didn't try to cover his mouth at all. Doctor came round later & said we should have isolated you earlier. Luckily didn't catch anything from him. Also know what you mean about eating I couldn't eat at all when  in hospital.

Lyn xx

• Even post SCT what we eat can be an issue so I thought I would post the info I was given by my dietitian at my SCT centre including some info from the Macmillan site.

During and after Chemo, Radiotherapy and SCT there is an increased risk of infection from food. This is because these treatments can cause neutropenia (a decrease in white blood cells that fight off infections).

Food safety is the very important so are are some tips for you.

Shop smart – check foods are in date.

Make sure you get the chilled and frozen foods home quickly.

Prepare and clean up - Clean hands and the kitchen. Use separate chopping boards for raw and ready to eat foods.

Prevent cross-contamination - Separate raw meats, chicken, seafood from ready to eat foods in the fridge.

Cook food properly, piping hot throughout.

ONLY eat out in clean places and make sure her food is hot. Stay away from Take Away foods as you have no idea how it is being prepaired.

Some foods have a higher risk of becoming tainted with bacteria so here are some foods you may want to avoid.

Avoid
    Raw or undercooked meat, chicken, seafood

Unpasteurised or raw milk

Raw or undercooked eggs

Unwashed and pealed fresh fruit and vegetables

Soft cheeses made from unpasteurised milk

Uncovered deli meats

Cold rice

Eat
    Meat, chicken and seafood cooked through

Pasteurised milk

Cooked eggs with a firm yolk

Washed and peal fresh or cooked fruit and vegetables

Hard cheese or soft cheese made from pasteurised milk

Vacuum-packs meat, ham

Re-heat cold rice till it is steaming all the way through.

Stem Cell Transplant patients may need to follow more strict diet guidelines and each hospital will have their own guidelines.

The reason why we advise avoiding these no go foods is to reduce the risk of getting an infection or food poisoning. Chemo, Radiotherapy and SCT can greatly reduce your immune system.

We would always recommend not eating any of the Aviod foods straight away and would always suggest that you remain on the Clean Diet until you are told by your team that it's ok to eat these foods again. This time frame can be totally different between transplant centres. 

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• To add to Mike’s sound advice, I would avoid rice if it’s already been cooked and chilled; it can carry a type of food poisoning even when cooked till very hot again as the toxin doesn’t get destroyed by heat. I know, I’ve had it and was really ill for a couple of days! 

Hugs xxx

Moomy

• yes , i also had the rice experience , several years ago now ,, but was awful

• I think that’s one we’ll never do again, Yvonne! Mine was some I bought from a cafe too, didn’t get round to reporting it, was so ill through a night and all next day and we were on our way home too.  

So, please be VERY careful with rice! 

Hugs xxx

Moomy

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to moomy

Hi Moomy

Up to the time I saw a report on TV about heating up cold rice I had done so several times. I've done so several times since because when nothing happens to me, then I query the advice. I always made sure that the rice is piping hot. I'm certainly a lot more wary now though having read the testimonies in this group. 

On the issue of reporting your experience Moomy, if it happened to me in a café or whatever, if I wasn't able to report it, (and I fully understand that the illness was so bad that you couldn't drag yourself off your sick bed), I'd probably get someone else to on the basis that I wouldn't want it to happen to someone else. Something similar happened to my brother and he was so ill and dehydrated that he was hospitalised. A real close call for him.

Take care xx

• An interesting and very helpful thread this is turning out to be.

Party Food :(

6 months post SCT and my appetite was back and I eating for Scotland. We were at a friends big birthday celebration. Mini Sausage rolls 'never again' I said. A few months later another big birthday and a table of M&S party selection - what could be wrong with M&S Sandwiches or Asian style chicken lollipops or chicken Kievs or mini toad-in-the hole?

Well nothing if it is put straight in a cool bag at M&S then put straight in the fridge and only taken out a few minutes before time to eat.

The reality was it was all in a plastic bag that had been left in the boot of a car in a very warm day for a few hours then put straight on the table an hour before the party........... bacteria factory.

I was soooo bad for a few days after but all of the others did ok but my system could not take it.

So since then I have not touched any buffet food again - ever :)

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• I went to a pub after a gathering last week and watching everyone serving themselves from the food , I decided to decline and wait until I got home, I'm going to a party at the weekend must make sure I'm full before I go and take my own drink, water in a bottle. I'm off lager, Prosecco, port, G&T, white wine, so I'll stay safe.

• A bit more about rice; it can be safe if cooked through and chilled really fast, then treated which ever way you wish. It’s the toxins it develops when cooked and NOT chilled fast, this should ideally be professionally done otherwise in a domestic setting it will warm other foods in your fridge! 

The poisoning comes from the toxins formed from Bacillus Cereus. Read up on the NHS site if you want more info, I googled food poisoning from rice.

Hugs xxx

Moomy

• lyn , the bloods came in , tested positive for flu , so a few more days on tamiflu , but e coli in my urine ? i thought it was food poisoning , but apparently not always ,, having worked in restaurants for years and being warned of the consequences ,,, i now feel sick, whereas i didn’t before ,, the power of the mind can backfire !Â