Bladder cancer plus after radiotherapy

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 1 reply
  • 57 subscribers

I am a 75year old father and grandfather also 29years post cardiac transplant. About two years ago after investigation for prostate problems it was discovered that I had bladder cancer. Because of my immunosuppression medication chemotherapy was ruled out and 28 days radiotherapy was completed. Subsequently I have been found to have some residual cancer in my bladder, an enlarged cancerous lymph gland outside my bladder and a possible metastasis on my liver. Urgent PET Scan and MRI have been booked for later this week. Depending on the scan results there is talk of selective chemotherapy. Naturally my mind has gone into a state of total turmoil and worry. Current pain is being controlled by paracetamol and codeine top up as required. I am hopeful of some words of advice and comfort. Face to face would have been nice but in this Covid 19 time sadly that won't be possible I presume. I look forward to some contact.

• Hi  and welcome to the Online Community, although I am always sorry to see folks finding us and so sorry to hear about your diagnosis.

A cancer diagnosis brings a lot of confusion, stress and many questions but talking with other people who are on the same type of journey helps a lot.

The Community has various cancer specific support groups and I see you have joined our Bladder cancer group, this is the place where you will connect with others walking the treatment journey both as patient or family.

Follow the link I've created above then you introduce yourself and post questions selecting '+New' or '+' (depending on your device) you can also join in with existing discussions by clicking on 'reply'. 

The Macmillan Support Services provides lots of information. The service is open every day 8am to 8pm and it's free to call on 0808 808 00 00. Clicking here for more information.

You can also email them, use the online chat and we also have our Ask an Expert section, but do allow two working days for replies from our expert team.

Talking to people face to face can indeed help a lot but during these times it’s not that available but do check to see if you have any Local Macmillan Support in your area or a Maggie’s Centre as these folks are amazing and a lot of these services have moved onto online video support groups.

All the very best.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge