Hello I am so unsure

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 3 replies
  • 58 subscribers

Hello everyone I am 67 female a young 67, I was diagnosed with tongue Cancer in August, I thought is was a mouth ulcer but it wouldn't go away. My Husband and Family are devastated and keep wanting to do things for me, also they keep telling me that I am strong, I keep putting a brave face on. All of you I am sure will understand that every day I tell myself that I have cancer but it does not sink in. All the Staff I have seen at different hospitals have been so Fantastic. My Cancer is a T2/3 my operation will take 12 hours and that I cannot get my head around. I have been for a pre op on 14th September and had Surgery School 17th September if you ever get invited please go it is really helpful it is all done through your tablets or computer. I just wish I knew when this big operation will be, I know that I have to have a Covid 19 test but have no idea when, I feel in limbo, I have to be in isolation for I don't know how long. I am afraid to show fear of upset to my Husband as he is so devastated both by the cancer and the 12 hour operation. I sound like a complete whomp but usually I am happy go lucky until this diagnosis. I have been to the Community every day this week and so I thought here goes.Thank you from the bottom of my heart for listening and would like to wish everyone well in their treatment and also to the carers you are helping us more than you know. Good Luck to you all.

• Hi  and welcome to the Online Community, although I am always sorry to see folks finding us and so sorry to hear about your tongue cancer diagnosis.

A cancer diagnosis brings a lot of confusion, stress and many questions. The waiting is hard is hard but talking with other people who are on the same type of journey helps a lot. 

The Community has various cancer specific support groups and I see you have joined our Head and neck cancer group, this is the place where you will connect with others walking the treatment journey both as patient or family.

Follow the link I've created above then you can introduce yourself to group, even copy and paste this first post and also post questions selecting '+New' or '+' (depending on your device) you can also join in with existing discussions by clicking on 'reply'. 

The Macmillan Support Services provides lots of information. The service is open every day 8am to 8pm and it's free to call on 0808 808 00 00. Clicking here for more information.

You can also email them, use the online chat and we also have our Ask an Expert section, but do allow two working days for replies from our expert team.

Our Online Information and Support Section  is a good place to find information covering diagnosis, treatments and pages covering most types of cancers.

All the very best and a virtual ((hug))

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Hello Mailbox, 

I cannot speak from personal experience but I wanted to tell you about my brothers experience. In 2010 he was diagnosed with tongue cancer. I can’t remember what stage but it must have been bad. First he had surgery. Then chemI and radiation. He beat the cancer. It was a long hard battle and he lost a good bit of weight but he made it through. He was a strong man tough both in physical and emotional strength. After having beaten cancer he fell and hit his head and died but that has nothing to do with tongue cancer. I hope this gives you hope. That is my intention in writing to you. God bless. Diane. 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Braxton

Diane I am so sorry for your loss Crying cat face the fact that your lovely brother beat the demon Smiling imptongue cancer gave me a surge of hope and strength. I hope that other sufferers also find strength and hope. I am at the start of my Cancer Journey and I hope I can meet others along the path, a path no one wants to walk but let's walk it together. Sending gentle ((hugs)) to everyone.