Metatastic Liver and Lung Cancer

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 1 reply
  • 57 subscribers

I am currently caring for my husband who had bowel cancer in 2018, surgery and chemo but in February 2019 it returned into his liver and lung.  He has had four courses of CAPOX and the last session did not work so he has gone straight onto FOLFIRI which he had in Feb 19 which worked. He has a PICC line and has treatment every two weeks, 6 cycles.  He is currently in his second cycle day 5 and cannot do anything but sleep all the time...  He wakes to eat and that is it, no interest in doing anything even TV. His appetite is good, in fact he wen downstairs last night at 3.30am andI found him eating cornflakes from a bowl dry saying he was starving!  I am really concerned as he seems quite yonderley, spaced out and weak but he won’t let me ring the medics as he fears his treatment will be reduced or stopped!  We asked our consultant for an honest thought of survival time span and he said Paul could possibly be in his last year of life but that was only an average.  When he stops treatment for a rest he usually only gets about 6 weeks and it starts growing again.  Can anyone help and advise or has experienced similar feelings ???? I am feeling very low at the moment.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi

I am not surprised you’re feeling very low at the moment. You’ve got a lot on your plate and caring for your husband through this illness must be incredibly tough. 

I am not in the same boat as you in that I’m the one in my household with the metastatic cancer. I do recognise the urge to eat cereals in the wee small hours but I usually manage to last until 6am. 

You ask if anyone else has the same feelings as you. I would put money on the answer being yes and I think it would be helpful for you to join out Carers group to hear from people who know what it’s like to care for a loved one. Here’s a link to a group for those caring for someone with incurable cancer : 

https://community.macmillan.org.uk/cancer_experiences/supporting_someone_with_incurable_cancer/

Click on the link, start a discussion (maybe copy and paste what you’ve written here) and I hope you’ll connect with a community of people who will know exactly what you’re going through. It’s amazing how much it helps just to know that you’re  not alone  

I’m so sorry that you and your husband are going through this and I wish you both all the best