Lockdown Cancer

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 1 reply
  • 59 subscribers

Hi my name is Dave and the week before Lockdown my father was diagnosed with Oral Cancer.

My parents live in Bristol and I live in Cornwall so have been unable to see Dad or be be there to support both Dad and Mum through the past few weeks and his sessions of Intense Radiotherapy. This has been hard for me as we are really close and would normally all be together to support each other

After initially dealing with it in my  head knowing that I couldn't be there and I was ok but when it got to the final day that's when I broke, I have become angry, emotional and depressed and it is really hurting that I still can be with them.

Has anyone got any advice or has been through the same feelings? 

• Hi  and welcome to the Online Community, although I am sorry to see you finding us and so sorry to hear about your dad's diagnosis and the emotional issues you are facing but I am pleased to say that you have found a safe place to find some support.

A cancer diagnosis at the best of times does indeed brings a lot of confusion, stress and many questions but during this made COVID months this has gone off the scale but I found talking with other people who are on the same type of journey helped a lot. 

The Community has many dedicated support groups so can I first direct you to our supportive Head and neck cancer group. This would be a good place to talk with others who have first hand experience in what your dad is going through and dealing with.

Follow the link I've created above, join the group, then hit ‘start a discussion’ and you are ready to go.

You could then copy and paste the information from this first post into your new discussion or you can just join in with existing ‘Discussions’ by clicking on 'reply'.

You may also find our Carers only and Family and friends groups a benefit as you will connect with others supporting family through their cancer journey especially during these times.

It’s always good to talk, so can I highlight the Macmillan Support Line on 0808 808 00 00 This service covers Emotional Support, Practical Information. Clinical Information, Financial Support and Work Guidance mostly open 8.00 to 8.00

Our Online Information and Support Section  is a good place to find information covering cancer diagnosis, treatments and pages covering most types of cancers.

All the very best.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge