Exercise after whipple surgery

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 2 replies
  • 59 subscribers

Hi!     I had whipple procedure , (PPPD) on the 1st April this year and was discharged on the 15th. Initial recovery was slow and painful but now I feel lots better, almost normal, although tummy's a bit tender still and I'm having to re-learn my diet!     I asked my doctor if I could start exercising again and was referred to your website, hopefully you can advise me. I have had a good browse through but can't find anything about exercise?

I am a 72 year old man, 1.7m tall weighing 60kg (63kg prior to surgery) , prior to the op I used to walk 3 miles , briskly most mornings plus walk dog half an hour in the afternoon and I'm keen to resume ASAP. However this corona-virus has changed things dramatically and I'm not even sure if I'm allowed out the house? 

I would be grateful if you could give me a few pointers!!    Thanks - 

• Hi and welcome to the community. I believe the whipple procedure is usually associated with the pancreas. Could I suggest you post your questions in the Pancreatic Group . There you will find others with experience of this and should be able to give you some good advice. Click on the highlighted link to get to the group, and once you click join, you can then post there. I hope all goes well. Best wishes.

Best wishes to All,   rily.

Community Champion Badge

What is a Community Champion ?

• Hi Gwenrick,

Welcome! I am glad you're feeling better after your whipple. 

I had my whipple Jan 2018. To start with it was just walking around my neighbourhood. Just note to not walk to far as you have to get back Joy  It was also pretty cold at that time of year. 

How are you feeling now? 

After my op my hospital offered exercises classes on the lighter side to what I was used to. It was nice to get out really and regain some strength. 

I was 24 years old when I had my whipple so I guess I might of bounced back quickly but still take it easy. I still can't do a sit up or anything haha. I would continue with your walks and each day you'll feel yourself getting stronger and stronger. 

Thanks

Rosie x