Wife recently diagnosed with secondary breast cancer

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 4 replies
  • 57 subscribers

Hi, 

My wife was recently diagnosed with secondary breast cancer in her liver and she has undergone her first chemotherapy on Friday. She is extremely frightened and I feel like her mental health is suffering especially due to being told to self isolate in her room for 7 days.

What happens after 7 days, can she join the rest of the family in watching TV or eating dinner around the dinner table?  Is there anything that I can do to help her fight this and make her less depressed?

She is in day 3 post chemo and feels as if her bones are condensed. Is there any exercises/stretches that could help.

I'm guessing these questions have been asked and answered before so apologies for the repetition.

• Hi  and welcome to the Online community, although I am sorry to see you finding us and so sorry to hear about your wife's diagnosis - this must have been a big shock to you.

A cancer diagnosis can bring a lot of stress, confusion and many questions but talking with people who are on the same journey can help a lot so can I highlight our very supportive Breast, secondary cancer Group.

Posting in this group will open up your concerns to a wider group of people who know exactly what your wise is going through at the moment. 

Follow the link I've created, join the group then introduce yourself to the group and post questions after selecting 'start a discussion' and you can also join in with existing conversations by clicking on 'reply'.

You may also find our Carers only and Family and friends groups a benefit as you will connect with others supporting family through their cancer journey.

Can I also highly recommend our various Macmillan Support Line Services - you can call them free on 0808 808 00 00 This service covers Emotional Support, Practical Information. Clinical Information, Financial Support and Work Guidance mostly open 8.00 to 8.00 but check the link but you may find this service very busy at the moment.

You may want to put some information in your profile as this can help a lot. Click here to see how to add details as this helps everyone to see a little about you and how best to reply to you.

All the very best.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Thehighlander

Thank you so much Mike. I have joined the group you recommended and the info you gave is really helpful. My wife asked me last night what life is going to be like for us from now on. She is only 37 and we have a 2 year old daughter. I think my wife needs to get some emotional help using the number you provided but she is reluctant to call. Tbh this is not out of character for her but I was wondering big there was a way that I could encourage her to call it? What made you take the first step?

• Hi again, as a male it’s a ‘male’ pride thing not to talk but it was a revelation to talk with folks who would listen with no ulterior motives - you just can’t do this with family and friends.

The support line team are trained to listen and give unbiased support...... and at this time in her cancer journey pride needs to take a back seat....... it’s ALL about getting through this use every tool available and one very good way is professional support

She needs to get the battle between her ears under control. She needs to understand she is not the only one in the world going through this at the moment.

Talking helps unpack the ‘stuff’ she is carrying around in her invisible rucksack that is dragging her down - she needs to empty it out and sort through the things she can not control and also see the important stuff she has around her.

Actually her talking with folks on the same journey would  even more and you will see this in the link I gave you but also in our other various groups (Cancer specific  and general Cancer experienceand you could let her see some of the posts as there is a lot of encouraging stuff around.

If she is willing to go on the Support Line could I suggest that you phone, go through the choices and do the waiting to get through, as U said the line is far more busy at the moment so it may take time - then hand the phone over to her and go away and leave her to it.

Mike (Thehighlander)

Community Champion Badge

• I thought you would like this picture as it represents the best way to get through times like this - by yourself, crossing the gap may not be achieved but with others - anything is possible.

Mike (Thehighlander)

Community Champion Badge