Home visits and no support

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 1 reply
  • 57 subscribers

Have home visits been cancelled.

Hi, my father in-law is a 80 year old gentleman who has been diagnosed with terminal cancer about 5 weeks ago, secondary liver cancer stage 4. He has had no conact or help from anyone, just the family who are now very emotional and finding it hard to cope. He was suppose to get a visit from a Macmillan nurse but instead we recieved a phone call from a Macmillan nurse two days ago(Monday 30th March) which left the family even more frustrated. My daughter took the phone call and asked lots of questions regarding her Grampa`s condition and about what was to come in the next few weeks/months that he has left but all answers were basicly the same.... the District Nurses will deal with that. Yesterday my wife gave up her work at a doctors surgery to help take care of her father and mother who are now all very emotional as is all the family.

I know that things are a bit more complicated at the moment due to covid19 but we feel that my father in-law has just been left out by everyone with no support coming from the Macmillan nurses.

• Hi  and welcome to the Online Community, although I am sorry to see you finding us and so sorry to hear about your father in laws diagnosis - this must have been a big shock to you.

I can’t answer your question as I am not in that situation being in remission but I do know the pressure on all the medical support system across the UK is unprecedented. His GP is the main person who ensures that home care is put in place wherever it comes from so do try and talk with them.

It may also help talking with people who are on the same journey can help a lot so can I highlight our very supportive Supporting someone with incurable cancer groups a benefit as you will connect with others supporting family through their cancer journey

Posting in this group will open up your concerns to a wider group of people who know exactly what you are going through at the moment.

Follow the link I've created, join the group then introduce yourself to the group and post questions after selecting 'start a discussion' and you can also join in with existing conversations by clicking on 'reply'.

You may also find our Carers only a great help as well.

Can I also highly recommend our various Macmillan Support Line Services - you can call them free on 0808 808 00 00 This service covers Emotional Support, Practical Information. Clinical Information mostly open 8.00 to 8.00 but check the link.... BUT you will find it very busy at the moment.

((hugs)) from a distance.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge