Question about self isolation

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 3 replies
  • 58 subscribers

I am seeking advice.  I had Leukaemia in 2018 and finished my treatment in November 2018.  I am still having regular blood tests and so far my counts are normal.  However, I have received a text message from NHS Coronavirus service telling me I have to self isolate for 12 weeks.  Is this really necessary?  Don't want to clog up the system by making unnecessary phone calls.  Thanks for any help. 

• Hi , welcome to the Community.

Yes this is all very confusing and the following information may well be out of date, but from your information you well be in a high at risk category.

So my very simple answer would be yes this is very necessary.

This Information from the government is all encompassing and is a good guide what to look out for and what you should or should not do and Macmillan have also provided some information and answered some key questions around cancer and coronavirus (COVID-19). This link takes you to the most up to date Bloodwise information about the Coronavirus.

I was diagnosed in 1999 with a rare type of Skin NHL. I am now over 4 1/2 years post my last treatment and 3 1/2 years in remission. Just a few weeks back my team said   “……you need to think that you have just come through all your treatment again and take exactly the same precautions as you did then........”   so I am basically back into a three+ months isolation controlling everyone I come in contract with and where and what I do.

She also said ”……. once a blood cancer patient always a blood cancer patient"......... "All the treatment you have had has indeed had a long lasting effect on the effectiveness of your immune system even although your bloods are ok with a few at the lower limit range of acceptable, like any virus you are at risk but this one we don’t know how a post treatment patient will react - let’s be safe and not sorry”

This may not be much help for you - sorry..... but this virus can not be underestimated.

((Hugs)) from a distance.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Hi Diane,

I asked the same question to my team as I have been in remission for over 4 years, although with a different blood cancer, and this was their reply:

“It is our strongest advice to follow the guidelines set out by the NHS as much as possible. We know that even several years post-transplant the immune system has not fully recovered.”

If you want confirmation, it might be best to reach out to your medical team to see what they say, but it sounds like as former blood cancer patients we are at particularly high risk of this virus.

Wishing you all the best

Greg

• This site is organised into various support groups so we do have lots of groups that are Cancer specific so have a look at the Leukaemia groups.

Posting in this group will open up your concerns to a wider group of people who know exactly what you are going through at the moment.

Follow the link I've created, join the group then introduce yourself to the group and post questions after selecting 'start a discussion' and you can also join in with existing conversations by clicking on 'reply'.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge