Ovarian cancer

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 1 reply
  • 57 subscribers

Hi I’m Stacey! 

I am 32 and have was told a few weeks ago I have ovarian cancer stage 1a, after having a tumour removed which we all believed to be benign! Treatment options where to have a full hysterectomy which I was scared about going through surgery again! 
After seeing a consultant in Liverpool They advised that they they think they have removed everything by removing the one ovary but obviously can’t be 100% sure that it hasn’t spread into the other ovary without removing it and testing it! Also told me the risk of having this surgery which I hadn’t been told about before ie I would have surgical menopause straight away! Can bring on early dementia shortens your life expectancy and risk of heart failure! Now after hearing all that I decided to leave any further treatment as they have said the risk is so low and will monitor me every 4 months! Now it’s all over I’m wondering if I have made the right decision and wonder if there is anyone who has been through it a who can shed some light on what it’s like after having the full hysterectomy done? 
many information would be great!  

• Hi Stacey  and welcome to the Online Community, although I am sorry to see you finding us and so sorry to hear about your diagnosis.

A cancer diagnosis can bring a lot of stress, confusion and many many questions but from my long experience talking with people who are on the same journey can help a lot so can I direct you to this link to our very supportive Ovarian cancer group as this will open up your concerns to a wider audience who know exactly what you are going through at the moment.

To join just click on the link I've created and then choose 'join this group' on the page that opens. You can then introduce yourself and post questions after selecting 'start a discussion' and join in with existing conversations by clicking on 'reply'.

Can I also highly recommend our various Macmillan Support Line Services - you can call them free on 0808 808 00 00 This service covers Emotional Support, Practical Information. Clinical Information, Financial Support and Work Guidance mostly open 8.00 to 8.00 but check the link.

We also have our ‘Ask an Expert’. section where you can post questions to our mostly Volunteer Experts but please allow 2 working days to get a reply.

Our Online Information and Support Section  is a good place to find information covering cancer diagnosis, treatments and pages covering most types of cancers.

Talking to people face to face can help a lot so check to see if you have any Local Macmillan Support in your area or a Maggie’s Centre as these folks are amazing.

You may want to put some information in your profile can help a lot Click here to see how to add details as this helps everyone to see a little about you

All the very best.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge