My mums just been told her cancer has spread and its terminal

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 3 replies
  • 58 subscribers

Hi my mum was diagnosed with breast cancer last year, she had a mastectomy before Christmas and then radiotherapy. Yesterday she was told that the cancer had spread, it's now on her lungs and they cant operate or treat it. We sat together today had all had a good cry. I've yet to tell my kids and any advice would be great full. 

• Hi welcome to the community, tho I'm sure you'd much rather not be here.

Sugest u repost this in Breast cancer group, so ppl in s similar  position to your mum can reply. You might also join the Family and friends group, to get support for yourself .

Fear of the unknown is the worst thing. Once we know what we're facing, we find the strength to deal with it.
  • Hi  and a second welcome to the Online Community, although I am sorry to see you finding us and so sorry to hear about your mum ((hugs))

A cancer diagnosis like this can bring a lot of stress, confusion and many questions on all the family and I see by the time you were posting you were up late..... but talking with people who are on the same journey can help a lot.

To add to initial post you may find our Supporting Someone with Incurable Cancer group to be a good places to join where you can connect with others supporting family through their cancer journey but more importantly the carers care for each other

To join just click on the link I've created and then choose 'join this group' on the page that opens. You can then introduce yourself and post questions after selecting 'start a discussion' and join in with existing conversations by clicking on 'reply'.

The Community is organised into various groups so we do have lots of support groups that are Cancer specific  and also ones that are general Cancer experience groups.

You may find our various Macmillan Support Line Services to be helpful - call them on 0808 808 00 00 This free service covers Emotional Support, Practical Information. Clinical Information, Financial Support and Work Guidance mostly open 8.00 to 8.00 but check the link.

We also have our ‘Ask an Expert’. section where you can post questions to our mostly Volunteer Experts but please allow 2 working days to get a reply.

Our Online Information and Support Section  is a good place to find information covering cancer diagnosis, treatments and pages covering most types of cancers.

Talking to people face to face can help a lot so check to see if you have any Local Macmillan Support in your area or a Maggie’s Centre as these folks are amazing.

When you feel up to it try putting some information in your profile. This really helps others when answering. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. Just click on YOUR username, select 'Edit Profile'. Put as much or as little in your profile and you can amend it at any time - you can see members profiles by hitting our forum names.

All the very best.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Thanks for adding to my post

Fear of the unknown is the worst thing. Once we know what we're facing, we find the strength to deal with it.