Scared, but so confused and trying to stay strong for my Dad.

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 1 reply
  • 58 subscribers

I’m not sure if anyone can help here, but 2 weeks ago my dad had a biopsy on his neck. Since then he’s had an MRI and is due to have a CT scan on Tuesday. I’m so confused as they are going to speak to him re: results and findings on Wednesday, but they've then said to him today that he is now being sent for a PET scan at Barts (we don’t know when). I’ve stupidly “researched” and found that it’s only confirmed cancers that have PET scans. Is this correct? I just don’t understand the whole process and now I just think he 100% has cancer (I’m in denial) and they know it’s spread. I’m so sorry, but I’m going out of my mind with worry. 

• Hello and welcome to the community at what we know must be a worrying time for you and your family. The early days of not knowing and uncertainty can be very stressful. If it is confirmed your dad has cancer, then a treatment plan will be put in place. When this happens, things tend to be slightly less stressful as you know something positive is happening. A PET scan is only a diagnostic tool and does not necessarily mean cancer. Normal scans only give them an rough idea of what is happening. PET scans are far more detailed and will give them much more information on what they are dealing with. Try and stay away from Google as there is a lot of out of date and misleading information out there. Could I suggest you join the Head and Neck group where the members with experience of this will be able to help as regards tests and any treatments. Best wishes.

Best wishes to All,   rily.

Community Champion Badge

What is a Community Champion ?