New to melanoma

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 3 replies
  • 58 subscribers

Hello I have recently been told by my doctor that she is confident I have melanoma and waiting for first biopsy on the 20th. It started over 1.5 years ago as a little blister looking lump it was white with little yellow in it. 3/4 months ago it turned reddish Black and grown alot. It's been hard hearing the news and reading alot on internet. But over the past 24h it has started to shrink a little but is going really crusty and the blackness has started growing out of the skin is this normal or what is happening to it? I thought that it could only grow bigger. Thanks 

• Hi , welcome to the online community, and I can see you’ve already joined the melanoma group, which is one of the main groups I belong to. I haven’t had a primary melanoma that was found, my diagnosis came when my lymph nodes were enlarged and tested. I bet you are glad you went and saw your doctor and have you biopsy date already. It’s very normal to second guess things, we all want a bit of certainty. 

The link below goes through the abcde of melanoma signs and when to see a dr and going crusty is a definite time to see one, and you are ahead of the game.

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/information-and-support/melanoma/understanding-cancer/signs-symptoms-melanoma.html#9907

I’d have to assume that melanomas can get smaller as I have never been aware of a suspicious area of skin and have no moles, and yet I have a metastatic melanoma diagnosis. In your shoes I still think I’d want it removed as per your drs advise but until the biopsy results come back you are in a period of uncertainty. The waiting is often the worst bit. There is an ask an expert section on here where you can  put a question to a nurse, and we can help with any of our experiences over in the melanoma group. 

https://community.macmillan.org.uk/cancer_experiences/ask_the_expert/ask_a_nurse/discussions

I’m sorry you have to go through surgery but happy you’ve joined us for any help we can give.

Take care KT

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to KTatHome

Thank you for your reply. Much appreciated. The thing that scares me the most is mine never started as a mole it was a new growth which after looking into it, it points toward nodular melanoma which is the worst kind as it's very fast growing down into the skin. Just wish I had done something about it 1 year ago when I seen it was growing. Confused 

Glad I have joined here though because already i have had some really nice and reassuring replys. 

Did you manage to get yours sorted or are you still undergoing treatment?  

• Hi , my diagnosis was in July 2015, so a long story, but if you click on my user name/picture it will take you to my profile, so you will see I am currently on immunotherapy. If you can complete your profile to that really helps others in the group. To do that just click your user name find the edit profile button, type away and press save. 

Im glad you’ve already had a helpful response in the group, and I’m sure others will be along to say hi to.

Take care KT