newbie and not sure how I should feel

• 2 replies
  • 59 subscribers

Hi All, 

I'm glad I found this forum. I wrote last night about my concerns regarding a more cosmetic question. Must admit the whole breast cancer thing is on my mind all the time and I've started telling people around me now. Others are shocked at my approach of seeing it positively as a 'free boob job and tummy tuck'. I've been told it's calcification throughout the whole of the breast. There was no lump, no signs, and they carried out 20 biopsy samples. I nearly didn't go for my breast screening.

I've been told i have to have a mastectomy and lymph nodes removed to double check there has been no break through as it appears to be close to where it can. The op has to be within 2-3 weeks. 

I've opted to have the reconstruction and to have it taken from my tummy, but the thought of the op frightens me the more I think about it. It's not just a 'take the fat from one place and shove it in the other!

I have the coping mechanism usually when anything traumatic happens to detach from my emotions but my body usually kicks off and gets poorly instead. I get a feeling this one is going to be hard as I need to try and let myself come to terms with this a bit better....not got long before the op after all.

I'm sure so so many have written similar to this, my husband is more upset than I am at the moment and has needed to take time off work. I feel I must be looking it from a wrong perspective judging by everyone elses perspective of it. Is this denial on my part, or a positive approach or typical post of grief??  Feeling a bit odd. 

Does anyone here have any experience of a reconstruction being done at the same time as the op? Or going in for one soon?

Thanks everyone for being here. I'm sure it will help

• Hi and a warm welcome to the online community although I'm sorry you've had to find us.

I think you might have meant to post this in the breast cancer group which I see you've joined and posted in recently. Clicking on the link I've created will take you back there where, to save you typing this out again, you can copy and paste it into a new post.

When you have a minute it would be really useful if could pop something about your journey so far into your profile as it helps others when answering or looking for someone with a similar diagnosis. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Edit Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Thanks Latchbrook, have posted it there now.

Sam