New patient advice

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 6 replies
  • 57 subscribers

Hey Everyone,

My dad is due to start chemotherapy in the next few weeks. We are trying to be positive and proactive! Its hard to plan but from what i understand it can be a pretty long day attending the treatment unit. 

Would anyone have any advice, top tips, for new patients attending for chemo? Anything you know now, you wished you had known or asked about earlier? 

Thanks for your time Slight smile

MW

• Morning 

So sorry to read about your dad and seeing you joining us here but you have found yourself in a great place for support at a tough time.

There are many different types of chemotherapy drugs some cancer specific, some multi functional. Could you get back to us with the type of cancer your dad is being treated for and if possible the names of the chemo drugs he will be having ? As each can have their own differing more common side effects.

Then we can point you to the most beneficial areas of the Mac Community for you to get support and advice.

Having chemo, the first session can take a while especially if more than one chemo drug is being administered.

Take care, G n' J

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Mejwing

Sorry to hear about your Dad... it's a scary unknown time for you all!

As Dreamthief mentioned, there are so many types of treatment and everyone's experience is different.

I've been on many different Chemotherapys from tablets, 5 minute infusion, intrathecal and 2hr IVs. Some can be very time consuming especially if you have to have support products too like fluids or blood products.

My advice would be to expect it to take twice the time you think and don't make plans for immediately after. Wear comfy clothes and shoes and layer up. Whilst hospitals are usually hot, having to sit still for a prolonged period can leave you cold (it's much easier for the nurses to get a cannula in if you're warm or for blood flow if he has a line). Keep the fluids up and take snacks especially if he's taking steroids. Reading is a good way to pass the time or a tablet with headphones and watch a box set! Also have a nap, chemo is draining and no-one is going to judge him for nodding off!

Good luck to you all

• Hi  and another welcome from me.

Coming from a blood cancer background (Non Hodgkin's lymphoma) some chemotherapy treatments can take days to administer...... my infusions were 120hrs, so 5 days NHS DB&B and I had 6 cycles of this.......... but as has been said, some infusions can be 1hour.

You don't say what type of cancer you dad is being treated for?

This site is organised into various small groups, we do have lots of support groups that are Cancer specific  and also ones that are general Cancer experience groups.

Have a look through the groups using the links I have created and once you find the best 'fit' hit the ‘Join This Group’ tab just under the main group name, then go to the 'Start a Discussion' tab and set up your very own Discussion and introduce yourself to the group and ask your questions.

All the best.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Dreamthief

Recently found out my dearest mom has been diagnosed with Diffuse large B-cell lymphoma. Don't know what to do or say as feel very emotional Sob

• Hi  and welcome to the Online Community, although I am sorry to see you finding us and so sorry to hear about your mum.

I was diagnosed with another type of NHL in 1999 and I am still around today - blood cancers are on the whole very treatable

Talking with people who are on the same journey can help a lot. So can I direct you to this link to our very supportive Diffuse large B-cell lymphoma group as this will open up your concerns to a wider audience who know exactly what you are going through at the moment.

Just follow the link I have created then hit the ‘Join This Group’ tab just under the main group name, then go to the 'Start a Discussion' tab and set up your very own Discussion and introduce yourself to the group and ask your questions.

I will keep an eye open for you ((hugs))

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Thehighlander

So glad you're still around. Thank you so much ..I sincerely appreciate it.